British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   VIT Registration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/vit-registration-667845/)

ollydt May 11th 2010 10:10 pm

VIT Registration

Hi all, my wife and I are moving out to Oz in August and settling in Melbourne. We are currently trying to get VIT reg done. We have all the reference parts done by the Head and character ref as well. Its just the teaching certificates we are confused on to support application.

We are both secondary teachers and both have PGCE (I have 5 years experience the wife 4). I have searched the forums but all posts are quite old that I found so was hoping for some more up to date advice.

Are the QTS cert and Induction cert provided by GTC sufficient in showing Supervised Practice Teaching (SPT)(Section 5.0)? I read somewhere that it wasn't. Its just that the VIT form asks that something that states number of days (75 overall over both diagnostic and long practice) but I have nothing, not even transcript, that states this but the certs do say that I did what was needed.

Hopefully someone can make sense of my ramblings but if clarity is no doubt needed please let me know,

Olly

PS - How long does it take? 30 days is something the wife found but have seen 6 weeks and 12 weeks on other threads.

WS May 14th 2010 1:13 am

Re: VIT Registration

No, the QTS and Induction certificates are not sufficient.

You need to get something from the University where you did your PGCE. I just wrote a quick statement which said how many days/weeks I did on supervised practice and asked someone at the Uni to sign it on headed paper.

bezzanbob May 17th 2010 3:41 pm

I think you will find that QTS isn't recognised as a teaching qualification in Australia and hence isn't deemed appropriate for migration.

There may well be otehr ways around it and I would be interested to know about them.

Teaching Australia also required verification of these qualifications so ...:(

Bezza

ollydt May 17th 2010 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by bezzanbob (Post 8570833)
I think you will find that QTS isn't recognised as a teaching qualification in Australia and hence isn't deemed appropriate for migration.

There may well be otehr ways around it and I would be interested to know about them.

Teaching Australia also required verification of these qualifications so ...:(

Bezza

Cheers for that. I am going on a Spousal Visa so don't need qualifications recognised through Teach Australia which is fortunate. I am gathering that although I have 5 years teaching experience and have every bit of evidence to show I am a good teacher (sometimes outstanding when I can be arsed :)) that it is my PGCE that is deemed more important. But I am going to their system and I must accept that its up to me to prove to them I am good enough and not for them to prove I am not good enough.

Any info I get I'll put on here for the help of future migrants. Olly

bezzanbob May 17th 2010 6:53 pm

Olly,

Here's a thought ....

Think about the private schools in Oz - it is possible to get a job without registration and then to be sponsored by the school - well I think it is anyway and think one or two might get through that way.

The oteher route may be to look at a different Teaching Council as each has reciprocal arrangements - NZ included.

Go well

Bezza

Jen1977ni May 18th 2010 1:24 am

I think you may be mistaken, not one school that I've come across is willing to let someone teach without their registration. I've just done 6 weeks of Teacher Aide work because of this, whilst my Rego is processed. Also if someone has a PGCE they're more than able to teach here, it's the 3 year GTP route that is not recognised here in Oz. Correct me if I'm wrong?! :huh:

Originally Posted by bezzanbob (Post 8571320)
Olly,

Here's a thought ....

Think about the private schools in Oz - it is possible to get a job without registration and then to be sponsored by the school - well I think it is anyway and think one or two might get through that way.

The oteher route may be to look at a different Teaching Council as each has reciprocal arrangements - NZ included.

Go well

Bezza

bezzanbob May 18th 2010 4:58 am

Jen,

Things may well have changed but I taught in a private school in Queensland for a year without registering - I was on exchange and the school dealt with all the formalities and of course this could be an explanation.

Bezza

Jen1977ni May 18th 2010 7:14 am

Originally Posted by bezzanbob (Post 8572296)
Jen,

Things may well have changed but I taught in a private school in Queensland for a year without registering - I was on exchange and the school dealt with all the formalities and of course this could be an explanation.

Bezza

I'd say it'd be a completely different scenario if it was an exchange, they're very strict here, VERRRRRY strict! Grr :sneaky:

bezzanbob May 18th 2010 8:23 am

Good news I've got my VIT(amins?) then.

Having followed many of your posts am I right in thinking that in addition to the Teacher Reg in the State you need First Aid? Anything else for the private schools save for being a Christian?

Berian

Jen1977ni May 18th 2010 8:32 am

Originally Posted by bezzanbob (Post 8572552)

Having followed many of your posts am I right in thinking that in addition to the Teacher Reg in the State you need First Aid? Anything else for the private schools save for being a Christian?

Berian

Not that I'm aware of as yet, but yes, First Aid is a good idea...

ollydt May 18th 2010 11:04 am

Originally Posted by bezzanbob (Post 8572552)

Berian

What you need first aid to teach in state schools as part of VIT or is it just preferable on a CV?

bezzanbob May 20th 2010 2:42 pm

First Aid isn't needed for VIT regsitration but is needed by the education department and is the start of a whole new ball game. :D

ollydt May 20th 2010 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by bezzanbob (Post 8578665)
First Aid isn't needed for VIT regsitration but is needed by the education department and is the start of a whole new ball game. :D

So just to get things clear. I need VIT but then what else do I need to get into the classroom, apart from a job.

Jen1977ni May 20th 2010 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by ollydt (Post 8572900)
What you need first aid to teach in state schools as part of VIT or is it just preferable on a CV?

Preferable....not compulsory, or at least not here in QLD....

bezzanbob May 20th 2010 7:48 pm

The job is probably key.:)

Out of interest what's you area so to speak? I'm ICT and DT here in the UK and prospects seem good.

I was in Oz just last summer visiting schools on a short term exchange and Brit teachers are to some extent sought after - depends on the Head of course!:huh:

Bezza