British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   UK teacher moving to US and wants some advice... Anyone do the same? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/uk-teacher-moving-us-wants-some-advice-anyone-do-same-279687/)

fishyfish Jan 24th 2005 5:47 pm

UK teacher moving to US and wants some advice... Anyone do the same?

Hello,

My wife (UK) and I (US) have submitted our I-130 to the US consulate in London with the hopes of getting approval for moving to the states sometime in the autumn.

At some point in the near future she would like to teach at an elementary school in whatever State we end up settling in.

She has taught in the UK for the last 7 years at various primary schools (keystage 1) and is curious how readily the US schools will accept her qualifications (BA in education) and her experience.

Does anyone have any experience with teaching in the UK and then job hunting in the US? Should we pay one of those US-based qualification-translating agencies now before we move over or should we wait until she actually starts job hunting (probably next winter)? Are they worth the cost? What's your experience with these matters?

By the way, we're posting this here as there doesn't seem to be much activity on the BritExpat Teaching forum.

thanks, fishyfish

half-pint Feb 1st 2005 7:55 pm

Re: UK teacher moving to US and wants some advice... Anyone do the same?

Originally Posted by fishyfish
Hello,
Does anyone have any experience with teaching in the UK and then job hunting in the US? Should we pay one of those US-based qualification-translating agencies now before we move over or should we wait until she actually starts job hunting (probably next winter)? Are they worth the cost? What's your experience with these matters?

By the way, we're posting this here as there doesn't seem to be much activity on the BritExpat Teaching forum.

thanks, fishyfish

I am a UK trained art teacher with 10 years experience of working in high schools. I have been living in Ohio since September. I tried applying to Carney, Sandoe & Associates, they sent me a rejection letter. I also emailed the Ohio dept. of education and was send a pack regarding gaining my teaching certification (this is what I'm currently working towards). They advised me that I would have to have my qualifications evaluated by a world credential evaluation service (such as WES). I think it costs around $150.

So far I have managed to gain a job in the educational sector, however I am working as an instructional assistant and am earning 20k plus benefits, it's a step in the door. The company I work for also has elementary schools, they are a charter school, if you want further details then note me. You might also want to try here www.britishschool.org

Hope this gets you started.

Ellie

Bob Feb 1st 2005 8:05 pm

Re: UK teacher moving to US and wants some advice... Anyone do the same?

There's another thread somewhere in the US section I think, if not, certainly in the jobs section on it...
But it all depends on the state your in, maine, you would need to be certified, so if you have a degree, just taking a test, if you don't have official teaching degree, then doing classes. If schools are desperate, you can work and take classes on the side, if there not, you would need to be certified before you could start. Also would need a police certificate and finger printing at certain times/places, can't be any old police station...bit of a scam for $30 really, as most police stations would do it free....