Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

UK PGCE, told by NSW DET to go back to university

UK PGCE, told by NSW DET to go back to university

Old Mar 1st 2011, 9:48 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK PGCE, told by NSW DET to go back to university

I've just been through similar frustrations with teach nsw & my degree was completed in Qld. Their communication was very poor & i found limited info on the website to help me decipher exactly what documents they were after-i gave them my transcript but they kept emailing to ask for further documentation from my uni. When i asked what sort they were so vague i still had no idea what the problem was-so unhelpful!!

I finally lost my temper & ranted how the transcript had been satisfactory for teaching in QLD, NT, China, England & Scotland & had not caused such probs before & i couldn't fathom why it was inadequate for my neighbouring state! This seemed to do the trick & i am now registered, but if they can find it tricky trying to read a bog standard 4 year degree from Qld i can see how a UK transcript could really throw them into a tizz!!!

Boycot may be best option??? Try a different state! Plus, as somebody already mentioned, most other states have reciprocal rego agreements. Might also be worth googling current bach of ed courses ot PGCE at Uni NSW & seeing how the units compare with yours-i had to do this when trying to obtain GTCS rego in Scotland as they were adamant my degree was lacking credit points-it can be incredibly frustrating & all this carry on is not even the actual job hunt!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:37 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saoghalbeag

Boycot may be best option??? Try a different state! Plus, as somebody already mentioned, most other states have reciprocal rego agreements. Might also be worth googling current bach of ed courses ot PGCE at Uni NSW & seeing how the units compare with yours-i had to do this when trying to obtain GTCS rego in Scotland as they were adamant my degree was lacking credit points-it can be incredibly frustrating & all this carry on is not even the actual job hunt!
Yes, I know a British qualified solicitor who was required to some something like four/six exams in SA but went flew to Vic to do just two and then was qualified via reciprocal agreement.

Cooler
Old Apr 29th 2011, 3:20 am
Just Joined

WazzaB is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in a similar situation and was told the same thing.

I can understand why they would set this standard for those looking at getting into teaching but it makes no sense for anyone with experience. It seems to also affect teachers from other states getting accredited in NSW.

Of course it makes no sense that they are more interested in looking at breadth of an undergraduate degree done donkey's years ago and not have any interest in experience. And this is meant to raise the quality of teaching? From a professional point of view it's complete madness.

After having a rant at them, I called the office of the NSW Minister for Education and raised the issue. They said they would speak to the Institute. Watch this space!

I've only been in Oz just over a month and encountered so many bureaucratic procedures and so many dogsbodies already. There seems to be a plague of rigid systems with no room for flexibility for anything slightly out of the norm.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 4:21 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WazzaB

I can understand why they would set this standard for those looking at getting into teaching but it makes no sense for anyone with experience. It seems to also affect teachers from other states getting accredited in NSW.

Of course it makes no sense that they are more interested in looking at breadth of an undergraduate degree done donkey's years ago and not have any interest in experience. And this is meant to raise the quality of teaching? From a professional point of view it's complete madness.

After having a rant at them, I called the office of the NSW Minister for Education and raised the issue. They said they would speak to the Institute. Watch this space!

I've only been in Oz just over a month and encountered so many bureaucratic procedures and so many dogsbodies already. There seems to be a plague of rigid systems with no room for flexibility for anything slightly out of the norm.

Now, there could be a contradiction from the education departments here

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...-in-six-weeks/

I have not checked if they are up and running in Vic, but there were talking about it here, in SA.

Cooler
Old Apr 29th 2011, 4:46 am
Just Joined

NSW DET won't agree to that!

Right, I had an answer from the NSW Institute of Teachers...

Apparently this 'breadth of study' malarkey is based on employment criteria set by the NSW Dept of Education. So in actual fact it's all to do with the DET. The Institute say they can't do a qualification comparability check based on experience which I suppose makes some sense!

Next port of call: the DET to see if they'll budge on the experience. Followed by the Minister again. Followed by the press. I can see the headline now - 'Experienced Teachers Not Allowed to Teach in NSW Schools.' That'll go down well.

They have said that with the provisional accreditation you can still do casual work.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 8:12 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WazzaB

Welcome to Australia.

This has been a long running issue with GTP and 3 yr trained teachers here in Australia. I know too well, as I did my PGCE at a College of Further Ed as opposed to one of Higher Ed and hence they declined me accreditation to teach. I only had an undergraduate degree in Science, a PhD in Physics and 3 years of experience, so obviously not enough.

They are totally inflexible, so good luck with it!

S
Old May 2nd 2011, 1:33 am
Just Joined

The DET dispute that it is a criteria set by them and insist it is set by the Institute. One hand not speaking to the other?

Anyway, through a difficult conversation with the DET, found out that when you apply for work with them they will asses your situation. I suspect that based on the Institute's statement of eligibility you'll potentially only be offered casual work. However, you can appeal for exemption of some criteria on the basis of your experience but who knows whether it will work.

Good luck everyone.