British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   Training to teach (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/training-teach-812125/)

thomaspink Oct 14th 2013 3:18 pm

Training to teach

I was wondering whether someone here maybe able to help.

I am wanting to head to Australia and train to become a teacher - I hold 3 A Levels and BSc in Sports Science and Coaching.

What available roots are there for non Australian citizens to train>

Thanks,

Tom

Pollyana Oct 15th 2013 6:01 am

Re: Training to teach

Originally Posted by thomaspink (Post 10943751)
I was wondering whether someone here maybe able to help.

I am wanting to head to Australia and train to become a teacher - I hold 3 A Levels and BSc in Sports Science and Coaching.

What available roots are there for non Australian citizens to train>

Thanks,

Tom

Australian Visa info is here - www.immi.gov.au but a student visa is not a cheap option, be warned.

scot47 Oct 15th 2013 10:40 am

You would have to find the finance. Can you do that ?

thomaspink Oct 15th 2013 3:08 pm

Finance is not a problem.

It was more a case of what I am looking for - in the UK we have the PGCE or GTP but what is the Australian alternative?

Thanks so far,

Tom

Briar Dec 1st 2013 10:34 am

GTP is not a recognised course in Australia.
To study a PGCE - Grad Dip is the equivalent in Australia, you would need a recognised undergraduate degree.
International fees can be huge and you would need to prove to DIBP that you had sufficient funds to support yourself and pay your fees.
If you were granted an international student visa, you would only be able to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during term time.

manilaoz Dec 7th 2013 2:56 pm

Hi-

As a PR 189 visa holder, would finding a teaching post in Goldcoast impossible if I do not have local experience yet?

I'm heading to Surfers paradise on the 18th this month so the anxiety is building up.

Any comment?

Thanks

Briar Dec 8th 2013 8:16 am

You will need registration with the Teachers Registration Board for Queensland before you can even apply for positions. Be aware that schools will be on their long summer holidays now until February and more than likely have already sorted their staffing for next year. I am not in Queensland so cannot comment on the availability of teaching positions with any knowledge, but I do have friends who are teaching there and they say that it is very hard to get a position in the state system.

manilaoz Dec 8th 2013 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Briar (Post 11025998)
You will need registration with the Teachers Registration Board for Queensland before you can even apply for positions. Be aware that schools will be on their long summer holidays now until February and more than likely have already sorted their staffing for next year. I am not in Queensland so cannot comment on the availability of teaching positions with any knowledge, but I do have friends who are teaching there and they say that it is very hard to get a position in the state system.

Thanks briar-

I figured and through advise from others in BE that while waiting for registration I might as well find non-teaching support positions.

Found one prospective job in a uni.;) do you think I need registration requirements there as well like blue card ?

Thanks!

Briar Dec 9th 2013 5:35 am

Originally Posted by manilaoz (Post 11026165)
Thanks briar-

I figured and through advise from others in BE that while waiting for registration I might as well find non-teaching support positions.

Found one prospective job in a uni.;) do you think I need registration requirements there as well like blue card ?

Thanks!

Sorry can't help with that.

manilaoz Dec 9th 2013 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Briar (Post 11026938)
Sorry can't help with that.

That's ok.Thanks anyway.. I've sent my application as there seems to be no requirement for registration in a tertiary level.

Just hope that while I take on temporary jobs, my registration processing will take fast enough for me to qualify by the school opening.

Regards.