Teaching in Victoria

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

steved is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Teaching in Victoria

Hello all.

My wife and I have Skilled Indep. visas based on the profession/experience (I was an Engineer) when we applied a couple of years ago. I then did a PGCE in Science and am now in my NQT year as a Secondary Physics teacher.

We will be moving to Melbourne after I complete my NQT year and I hope to teach there. Three qs:

1. Will I be allowed to teach Physics in Victoria, having an Electronic Engineering degree (not a Physics one)? They say something about your first degree having to be in the subject you plan to teach or close to it on the Victeach web site.

2. Does one full year paid teaching experience (NQT year) count me as an Experienced Teacher for registration?

3. Would I be likely/unlikely to get a job in a private school in Victoria, having only had experience in state schools here (albeit high achieving selective grammar - sorry!), or doesn't it matter?

Thanks so much guys for any advice!

sd.