British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   Teaching in Texas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/teaching-texas-836518/)

UKTeacher Jun 15th 2014 10:03 am

Teaching in Texas

My husband is a US citizen, we have been married 5 years and met and married in the UK. We are planning on moving to Dallas, Texas in Summer 2015. I work as a primary head-teacher here, have a BEd and NPQH qualifications. Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction to find information on how to get qualified in order to teach in Texas? Have tried searching online, but end up going around in circles and not really understanding the information I'm finding! Thanks for your help.

Dan_hals Jun 16th 2014 9:42 pm

Re: Teaching in Texas

Eh up,

I visited the states in 06 in summer when at uni. i cam to footy coach and I always wanted to return.

I have just bagged a job at an international school here after a few years of (off and on) trying to do the same as you and try to make some headway.

So first things first try and find an international school to work in as that will be easiest. I looked for this job on IBO jobs.

Secondly I also looked on International School Services (ISS) you have to pay for that but it is a way in to schools all around the world. They are based in the US too so that helps.

I also did a bit of work just myself by researching the parish/school area where i would have liked to work and trying to garner a job from there.

I hit a brick wall there as they would not sponsor my visa, but you won't have that problem.

You won't need to do any more quals I don't think, UK teachers are pretty well thought of and highly trained. but you will need to get the documents (degree/QTS) attested. which basically means that a company say they are genuine and valid in the US.

US schools work differently and you are hired by an area and not a school and they then place you where you are needed and can move you, which has pros and cons i guess.

So my idea would be to get in touch with the people in the parish/area you want to work, explain to them the story.

Look into getting your docs attested.

Then hopefully bag a job.

Apologies if i have covered ground you already knew. It has taken me about 3 years off and on to get a job in the US and like you found it very difficult to find info.

let me know if you need anything else, cant say i'll know but more than willing to share my experience.

kimilseung Jun 16th 2014 9:58 pm

It varies state to state, but in general, or at least in my state, you need to have your qualifications evaluated as being equal to local qualifications. This might need digging up transcripts or similar documentation and a fee. Testing may also be required in any subject area endorsement areas.

CountryM1ke Sep 30th 2014 6:37 pm

Hi, this is a message for Dan_Hals. Your post above is really helpful, speaking as one who has been looking into this kind of move increasingly seriously over the past 18 months. Can I ask if you've landed a job at the British International School, Houston? Would appreciate finding out a bit more about how things have gone / are going for you, if you didn't mind.

Cheers and all the best either way.

Mike

Dan_hals Sep 30th 2014 6:41 pm

If you send me a direct message I will answer any direct Q's you have no problem.

CountryM1ke Sep 30th 2014 7:22 pm

Thanks. Have to post once more before I can access that feature. Much appreciated.

zebapt Oct 11th 2014 3:15 pm

Is the PGCE recognised in Texas. My best friend lives in Austin and we may consider reunite... Thanks

kimilseung Oct 11th 2014 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by zebapt (Post 11435418)
Is the PGCE recognised in Texas. My best friend lives in Austin and we may consider reunite... Thanks

I dont know, you could go look it up on Texas Education Agency web site.

Guess:Yes and No
Directly: No; however after evaluation, I also guess it would be acceptable.

zebapt Oct 11th 2014 3:35 pm

Thanks!