Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

teaching secondary schools in australia

teaching secondary schools in australia

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:50 am
Just Joined

nigelds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default teaching secondary schools in australia

hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone could give me some information regarding teaching secondary schools in australia.

i have my bachelors of science from a university in Canada and was wondering if anyone could give any suggestions for some good schools in queensland. as you can guess from the title i was hoping to get into teaching in secondary schools , preferably in the area of math and science.

also, could anyone shed any light on the opportunities for seconday teachers in australia? i have read lots of conflicting reports, some stating it is rather easy, some saying it is near impossilbe...

any information anyone could pass along would be great
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: teaching secondary schools in australia

Hello,

Secondary seams to have more jobs available in most states. We are primary and our research found it may be harder to get a job. Currently in WA on sponsorship. Victoria will do a STNI (sponsored visa) for secondary. Also WA are short of teachers and will sponsor you on a 457 temp visa, but usually rural schools then nominate you for Permanent residence after 2 years work.

Have you got teaching qualification? Assuming you do e.g teaching degree or Post graduate.
You will need your teaching qualifications assessed and need to register with teaching body for that state before you can work.

If your Maths and Science though, you have probably got an advantage as this is shortage subject. So I reckon getting a job may not be too hard.

Good Luck
Gems
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:39 am
Just Joined

nigelds is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the info ..

at the moment i do not have any qualifications, i am actually looking into obtaining my qualifications so that i would be able to teach in a secondary school.

if anyone has any other info i would love to hear, thanks again.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:10 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

You might want to retitle this post as it sounded like your were wondering about teaching in secondary schools no going to one to be a teacher. Maybe something like....which university to get education degree? I have a Bachelor of Education from the University of Alberta. There were two streams to choose from, primary and secondary. So you should just start looking for Education programs in general and then look for specifics. Any major University in Australia should have an education program.

I actually think you're better off posting in the Australia section of these boards since most of the people in this particular forum have qualifications obtained overseas and not in Australia.

Try here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

I think if you could afford to do it, it may be worth doing your teaching qualification in australia if that is where you intend to move to.

That would also certainly go in your favour in the future when applying for jobs