British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   Teaching Primary vs Secondary in Aus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/teaching-primary-vs-secondary-aus-777645/)

tessel Nov 14th 2012 12:09 pm

Teaching Primary vs Secondary in Aus

OK, first up I am not a British expat. I am an Australian currently living overseas and will be returning to QLD to teach after doing my postgrad in education. I am torn between primary, middle school and secondary teaching. I am aware of the massive oversupply of primary teachers and demand only for secondary teachers in specialized areas like maths and science. I also know that rural areas are better places to get jobs (I will be living in the Hervey Bay area, but have no dramas about going "bush" in QLD).

The areas I can teach in secondary are Business, ICT and Mandarin (however I need to pass a proficiency test and I know I will fail that, plus very few schools really are pushing Mandarin as a second language). I actually quite enjoy the idea of teaching business/ICT, but concerned that I'd have buckley's chance of finding work besides subbing. The QLD education site says there is a demand for junior secondary, which I assume is the new "middle school" that will come into effect when year 7 primary transfers to high school in 2015 or so. So, I am currently leaning towards a middle school path as I hope that will increase my chances of finding work. I've taught EFL to children from grades one to six and at a university level, so I know how energetic children can be and how disinterested/facebooked teenagers often are.

I've done lots of digging around and pretty much been told that if you like children, then teach primary. If you like your "content", then teach secondary. However, I am not sure what the workload is like. Some people have told me they spend HOURS a day at home preparing for class the following day, whereas others have said they spend very little time at home preparing. I am not a lazy person, but I don't want to take my work home with me and turn my time into work time. I realize this is near impossible as teachers must always do something at home, but there is a limit to how much work I can do outside of work hours before it starts to get to me. A relative of mine teaches special ed and he basically said that he likes to separate work and his life, so that about sums up my view.

Feedback? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Sherlock Holmes Nov 14th 2012 12:29 pm

Re: Teaching Primary vs Secondary in Aus

Hi tessel and welcome to B.E. :)

I know nothing about teaching I'm afraid but wanted you to know that someone over here had spotted you thread.

Keep an eye on your post and if it doesn't get any replies for a couple of days, try reposting in the main Australia forum.

Hopefully someone will be along though.

Enjoy B.E. :)

tessel Nov 14th 2012 12:45 pm

I think I will just post now. I didn't realize there was a more appropriate forum. Tried to delete this one but can't seem to do it. Mods feel free to "zap" away.

Sherlock Holmes Nov 15th 2012 12:13 am

Originally Posted by tessel (Post 10382264)
I think I will just post now. I didn't realize there was a more appropriate forum. Tried to delete this one but can't seem to do it. Mods feel free to "zap" away.

This is the appropriate forum really....just doesn't get looked at much. :unsure:

No problem to leave this one here I'm sure. :)