British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   Teaching in Perth or Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/teaching-perth-brisbane-816034/)

Temzy89 Nov 24th 2013 4:33 pm

Teaching in Perth or Brisbane

Hello

I am currently a primary school teacher in England and have been teaching for 4 years. I am currently 25 and in need for a change and challenge. I would really love to get some experience in a different country and would love to go to Australia either Perth of Brisbane.

I am not looking to move permanently to Australia just as a taste of something different. However I haven't really a clue about the best place to start this adventure? Do I look for jobs first? Apply for a visa? Ideally I would like to go for January 2015. Is it too early to be thinking about it?

I would be really grateful for any advice anyone has on this such as people to contact or the steps I need to take.

poppyandpeanut Nov 25th 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Teaching in Perth or Brisbane

I would start by getting yourself registered with the teaching board. you cant teach in any school with this registration. then i think a WHV would be a good fit if you just wanted to come over for a bit and experience what teaching would be like.:o

Temzy89 Nov 26th 2013 4:50 pm

Thank you for your reply. I will begin the process of registering with Queensland as that is where I would like go, and apply for a WHV. I have seen an agency called smart teachers that looks as if it could help with the process. Have you heard of them before? I am wanting to go at the end of 2014/beginning of 2015 not sure if it is too early to be enquiring about jobs?

Briar Dec 1st 2013 10:27 am

Smart Teachers are a very professional outfit and would be a good place to start. They do mostly place teachers in private schools, but occasionally place relief/supply teachers in state schools.

fuchs01 Dec 1st 2013 11:45 am

Hi
If you want to first test the water, so to speak:-

Australia, use to offer younger people under 27, a chance to work in Australia for
a short time, no matter what proffesion.Thats how a couple of my friends started out.

Then there are Holiday jobs for Australia.
As advise...go to source the.... Australian embassy, look first online.
As a taster there is www.Australianteachers.com

Temzy89 Dec 1st 2013 11:52 am

Thank you both for those replies that really helps.

Do Smart teachers help with all the registering with different territories or is that something I will need to do independently? Also because a WHV only allows you to work for 6 months with the same employer, would Smart teachers still be able to place you?

I will definitely look further into 'taster' working in Australia.

Briar Dec 1st 2013 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Temzy89 (Post 11015493)

Do Smart teachers help with all the registering with different territories or is that something I will need to do independently? Also because a WHV only allows you to work for 6 months with the same employer, would Smart teachers still be able to place you?

You would have to sort out your registration in each state you wanted to teach..... If Smart Teachers pay you, then you can only work for 6 months for them. If you work for an education authority the same thing applies, as it does for individual schools within that authority. You will only have a working holiday visa which means you can only work for any employer for 6 months. That 6 months means that it starts with the first date you worked for them and ends with the last date you will work for them. It does not mean that you can do the odd date here and there and it will be cumulative.

Temzy89 Dec 1st 2013 12:47 pm

Ok I think I understand. Thank you.

I have got all my certificates of qualification ready and have now updated my CV, I am planning on writing a cover letter to go with this, so will begin registering with the territory I want to work. I would like to go to either Perth or Queensland. Then register with Smart teachers.

fuchs01 Dec 1st 2013 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Temzy89 (Post 11015493)

What ever you decide I wish you all the best.
Important, remember what you teach your kids, and be flexable.
WHVs can be granted for 12 months, sometimes extended.

1 friend was able to extend until his 2nd year, that was in a low IT job, 8 years ago.
What is now possible I couldnt confirm.
Funny thing is , I lost contact some 4 years ago, but I did speak to his cousin 3 weeks ago. He told me that the wierdo, took up studies as a primary school teacher, got
his papers, and 2 years ago pushed off with his new wife to Canada.
So alls possible...

Pollyana Dec 1st 2013 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by fuchs01 (Post 11015566)
What ever you decide I wish you all the best.
Important, remember what you teach your kids, and be flexable.
WHVs can be granted for 12 months, sometimes extended.

1 friend was able to extend until his 2nd year, that was in a low IT job, 8 years ago.
What is now possible I couldnt confirm.
Funny thing is , I lost contact some 4 years ago, but I did speak to his cousin 3 weeks ago. He told me that the wierdo, took up studies as a primary school teacher, got
his papers, and 2 years ago pushed off with his new wife to Canada.
So alls possible...

A WHV for Aus is issued for 12 months - thats 12 months in total, not 12 months per one employer. If the holder works in certain jobs/areas they may be eligibkle for a second WHV.

See more details here - http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/417.aspx

Temzy89 Dec 1st 2013 1:27 pm

Thank you for all you help :)

fuchs01 Dec 1st 2013 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11015582)
A WHV for Aus is issued for 12 months - thats 12 months in total, not 12 months per one employer. If the holder works in certain jobs/areas they may be eligibkle for a second WHV.

See more details here - http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/417.aspx

Yup, good point its all in the details. You see the lad can get a good picture
of the stepping stones needed towards his next steps in realisinghis dreams
:thumbup::thumbup:

It has to be said I have no idea how my friend got his visa extended.
Out of interest, do you know if this under 27( or whatever age) agreement still exists.??

old.sparkles Dec 2nd 2013 11:47 am

Originally Posted by fuchs01 (Post 11015631)
Yup, good point its all in the details. You see the lad can get a good picture
of the stepping stones needed towards his next steps in realisinghis dreams
:thumbup::thumbup:

It has to be said I have no idea how my friend got his visa extended.
Out of interest, do you know if this under 27( or whatever age) agreement still exists.??

If you click the link you'll see that WHV can be granted up to and including age 30

manilaoz Dec 7th 2013 2:52 pm

Hi--

I'm off to Goldcoast on the 18th of Dec. with a PR 189 for the nominated skill secondary teacher.

What are the prospects of finding work in Goldcoast this time of the year?

Thanks in advance!

old.sparkles Dec 7th 2013 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by manilaoz (Post 11025254)
Hi--

I'm off to Goldcoast on the 18th of Dec. with a PR 189 for the nominated skill secondary teacher.

What are the prospects of finding work in Goldcoast this time of the year?

Thanks in advance!

I think that you need to get registered to teach first - but I'm not a teacher so couldn't tell you all that that involves. I do know that the schools are about to break up for the Summer holidays - I think they are off until the end of January when temporary contracts may be available.