Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Teaching in Oz - Some Advice...

Teaching in Oz - Some Advice...

Old Oct 26th 2006, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teaching in Oz - Some Advice...

I've had this info for a couple of days but the site keeps timing out on me ??

lOL

Ok. I had a random email about a seminar next Saturday in B'ham for international schools around the world. I've booked a place on that so I'll let yo know what I find out or see you [url href="www.ticrecruitment.com"]there[/url]!

On the subject of applying for jobs (IN oz - On their system not in international schools) this company have been really great and helpful. Here's their advice...

As I mentioned on the phone, today we had a meeting with our Australian counterparts (Teachers Recruitment International) and I asked them for some advice to pass on to you. There is a bit of a mismatch here because TRI and TIC only really deal in placing teachers in international schools and presumably you would like a job in Brisbane where you say you plan to live. Therefore you really will need to get there and take a look around at the local schools. TRI say that it will be virtually impossible for you to get a job locally before you get there. There will be state schools in the area in which case you may need to be registered with the state authority before you can apply to these schools. There may also be some private schools (32% of Australian children are taught in the private system). The advice they suggested that I pass on to you is to go there with the following documentation:

* A current police check document (its much harder to get one from here when you are there)
* Your original certificates – all of them
* A Record of Service from your local education authority – this is standard in Australia, I don’t know how hard it is to get from here but it should be an official letter or certificate from the education authorities that you have worked in which states which schools you have worked in and for how long. If you have worked in the private system then it should be a stamped letter from the school stating your dates of service.
* Make sure that you have three suitable referees arranged who are primed to provide confidential references quickly when you need them

They also suggested that you take a look at the website of ‘The Courier’ (I imagine this is the local paper which has education jobs, they didn’t make this clear), as you never know you might be lucky and there could be a maternity leave available to get your toe in the door. Otherwise they suggested that once you are there you should identify the schools you would like to work in and go and visit, give them your details and CV and offer to do relief (supply) work. The implication was that English teachers are not in demand and that you may have to be patient.

Hope this helps out.
x
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:00 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Teaching in Oz - Some Advice...

The Courier = The Courier Mail. It's the local paper for Brisbane. The big job section comes out tomorrow (Saturday) and is called 'Career One'. It's available online but it's kinda hard to sift through as there are lots of agency postings. You won't find jobs for state schools in Qld in here, only for Private/Independent and Catholic schools.

State school jobs are allocated to teachers once they are registered with the Queensland College of Teachers AND with the Queensland Education Department.

One thing I notice missing from your post is this crucial registration with the Queensland College of Teachers (formerly Qld BTR (Board of Teacher Registration). I know you cannot teach in the state sector without this and I have a feeling (and am ashamed I don't know for sure!) you will require it to teach in the independent sector as well. Information is available at the Qld College of Teachers website.

This registration is SEPARATE from your registration with the Queensland Education Department (state government school system). You do this AFTER you've got your Qld College of Teachers rego sorted. They will then rate/grade you and identify which education areas you can teach in (for supply/contract work).

You should also register with TRACER who are a sort of supply agency that place teachers in state schools in the SE region. I think you can do this online. The majority of state schools I know contact Tracer automatically when they need supply teachers.

The state education department have a list of urgent vacancies on their website. These jobs are usually in the remote parts of the state.

And after all that, teaching in any other state/territory is going to be a completely different process...go to teacher employment australia webpage for links to other states/territories and their requirements.

Good luck!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. I put my application for assessment by the college of teachers in Yesterday. Hopefully I'll be ok. I'mlooking forward to teaching in Oz but realise it's not going to be easy to fnd a job.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
Thanks for that. I put my application for assessment by the college of teachers in Yesterday. Hopefully I'll be ok. I'mlooking forward to teaching in Oz but realise it's not going to be easy to fnd a job.

Good luck

Sure you'll do fine
Old Dec 1st 2006, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Bubbles has a spectacular aura aboutBubbles has a spectacular aura aboutBubbles has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
Hi

i have been in Brissy 8 weeks now and got a contract by week 2 through TRACER for this term. There is plenty of supply work and contracts here in qld but permanent is hard to get and you can't get it straight away, you have to do a certain number of days relief. I have got a job in a private school for next year. If you are not too fussy about schools and areas i can't see you having a problem paying the bills the school just might not be to your choosing!

All the best

Tracy
PS contact me directly if i can help any more.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bubbles
Hi

i have been in Brissy 8 weeks now and got a contract by week 2 through TRACER for this term. There is plenty of supply work and contracts here in qld but permanent is hard to get and you can't get it straight away, you have to do a certain number of days relief. I have got a job in a private school for next year. If you are not too fussy about schools and areas i can't see you having a problem paying the bills the school just might not be to your choosing!

All the best

Tracy
PS contact me directly if i can help any more.
That;s great news thankyou!