Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Teaching in New york City?...alternatively Canada!

Teaching in New york City?...alternatively Canada!

Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:57 am
Just Joined

YesteraysNews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in New york City?...alternatively Canada!

Hi all,
know there are similar topics on here, which I have read through,

Have a couple of questions regarding teaching in the U.S,specifically New York City. I

have been researching this for a couple on months and drawn a blank; even contacting the New York Education Board hasn't bee a huge help. Basically I'm just about to start my NQT year and have some 6th Form experience as well as a TEFL qualification and am trained in Secondary English, Film and Drama. In a year or two (so around 2011) I hope to teach in New York City and, well, wondered where to start regarding the application process/finding out how to get 'in' to it?

I have a 1st Class degree in English and am finishing off an MEd also. I have no real clue where to start applying for posts,looking for what's needed etc. and, like I say, virtually every where I've checked seems to be of limited help!?

It was suggested that I could simply take the NYC teaching certficate and then (the hard part!) find a job. And that I didn't need to go through any other channels etc. as they would sort it for me. Apparently this is specific o NYC, or so I've been told.

I really don't want to take part in an exchange program as I want to specifcally teach in NYC - wondere if anyone could help?

Lastly! If there was not a snowball's chance in hell of me teaching in NYC I thought I'd enquire about Canada and wondered about the application process there.

Any help would be great, thanks.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in New york City?...alternatively Canada!

I am not sure about NY but heard recently that with the recession they are not short of teachers in America.

Regarding Canada we looked into this, but firstly a permanent visa can take years to get! Secondly its nigh on impossible to get a teaching vacancy and hubby worked with Canadian teachers who told him this. Your chances of getting a job in Canada as a teacher are almost nil. Sorry its not what you want to hear.

We settled for Australia and love it.

You have more chance getting jobs in Australia, New Zealand or something I can recommend if you want to travel is International Schools. You will need approx 2 years work experience first for International schools. However you can work in almost any country in the world. The schools run on UK or IB curriculum.

Go to www.tesjobs.co.uk for International jobs. They also have forum- overseas teachers for more info.

Gems