Teaching in Australia

Old Apr 3rd 2013, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Kimander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Australia

Hello, I am new to this site! I am a fully qualified teacher of ICT and Business with special needs training and experience. I am hoping to emigrate to Australia to a) provide a better life for my family and b) be closer to my sister in Cairns. Thing is I am completely clueless as to how I might go about securing work in Australia. I am willing to consider a rural school if it would provide a decent sponsorship and a job. I'm not the richest person in the world due to my family commitments but I am a hard worker and dedicated to my profession. I have primary and secondary experience and currently teach in special education so am reasonably flexible. What I need to know us a) what's the cheapest route? B) what visa would I need and how do I go about getting this? C) can I secure a position before paying out on visa's??

Many thanks in advance
Old Apr 30th 2013, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Almost is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Australia

First and foremost do not use an agent unless you are willing to part with 20%-40% of your salary. Search out the city forums in Perth, Sydney, Adelaide, and wherever else you want to teach and look through the job classifieds. My former roomie in China found a good-paying job there with housing by doing exactly this. Good luck!
Old May 2nd 2013, 12:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kimander
Hello, I am new to this site! I am a fully qualified teacher of ICT and Business with special needs training and experience. I am hoping to emigrate to Australia to a) provide a better life for my family and b) be closer to my sister in Cairns. Thing is I am completely clueless as to how I might go about securing work in Australia. I am willing to consider a rural school if it would provide a decent sponsorship and a job. I'm not the richest person in the world due to my family commitments but I am a hard worker and dedicated to my profession. I have primary and secondary experience and currently teach in special education so am reasonably flexible. What I need to know us a) what's the cheapest route? B) what visa would I need and how do I go about getting this? C) can I secure a position before paying out on visa's??

Many thanks in advance
Visa-wise start here - http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/
Old May 2nd 2013, 12:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost
First and foremost do not use an agent unless you are willing to part with 20%-40% of your salary. Search out the city forums in Perth, Sydney, Adelaide, and wherever else you want to teach and look through the job classifieds. My former roomie in China found a good-paying job there with housing by doing exactly this. Good luck!
WIth all due respect, teaching jobs are rather different from those in housing. The OP will need to follow whatever registration process is current for the State in which they wish to work, and qualify for a visa, before they can even think about how to actually gain employment.
Old May 28th 2013, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

poppyandpeanut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
WIth all due respect, teaching jobs are rather different from those in housing. The OP will need to follow whatever registration process is current for the State in which they wish to work, and qualify for a visa, before they can even think about how to actually gain employment.
Still good advice though, I had 2 friends in Perth land jobs in the pvt sector by doing exactly this.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

julie smith is an unknown quantity at this point

I would also like some information about teaching in AUs. I am a business studies teacher with economics and accounting experience. original qualification is accounting and finance degree and qualified AAT. I would like to teach in Aus at secondary level and would not mind a rural school. Wondered in anyone out there could give me advice as I do not have too much money to invest in expensive visa and are looking at starting on a working visa first. I visited my colleague who emigrated last year at Easter and she is very happy teaching in Adelaide.

Can anyone give me some smart advice and help it would be greatly appreciated

Julie