teaching jobs

Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

sjw2212 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default teaching jobs

Hi!

Hubby and I are planning a move over to NSW (Sydney suburbs?) in October. I'm a teacher here and was going to get all my stuff sorted out when we arrived (using his qualifications to get here as he's an accountant). Not sure this is such a good idea though now having read some of the posts on this site. Any ideas???

Also any thoughts about where to go, we'd like to be fairly near the beach but commutable.

Thanks xxx
Old Jan 5th 2008, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: teaching jobs

The problem with teaching in Aus is that where you want to live is where everyone else wants to live but all the teaching vacancies are out in the middle of Woop Woop where no one in their right mind wants to live! You probably wouldnt have too much trouble if you wanted to go out to Dubbo or Young or Hay but northern Sydney beach suburbs - you and everyone else!

Still, you'll never know if you dont give it a try. As I have said before, if you have a specialization which is in demand - autism and behaviour are two that spring to mind, or HS maths or science then you would probably be in with a better chance.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

From my personal experience I would get yours qualifications checked now and also get approval to teach by the nsw department of education.

It took me a few months to sort out and will make things easier if you want to apply for jobs if you already have it (also if you are going for full registration your current head teacher will need to fill in part of the form)...particularly as a lot of the job adverts for the new academic year come up september/october time.

I understand it can be hard to get posts in NSW, but with your quals already checked and approved it will give you more of a fighting chance when putting applications in.

Also check out the following links:

http://www.teachingaustralia.edu.au/ta/go/home/pid/418

http://www.ptc.nsw.edu.au/

good luck
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

What Freckles said - start before you get here. Also be aware that the Aussies are heavily into "transcripts" of all the stuff you do in your training - UK training institutions may have gone the same way since my training days but we didnt get anything like the detail of course content that the Aus institutions go in for. So, be sure to get transcripts of absoutely everything you have done before you leave because it is very tricky doing it from here.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

Just to add a note to that, to get you degree and pgce verified you will need a full transcript of the course modules and you grades. You generally get these every year through your degree but not with you pgce.

If like me you have lost the paperwork you will need to contact your university. They generally charge anything up to £50 for duplicates and it can take up to 40 days to come through. For my pgce they charged nothing and sent them out the next day.