Teaching English in OZ

Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Question Teaching English in OZ

Hello all,

Sorry if this is a repeat!

I'm new to this forum and hoping to chat to some people about the big move my partner and I will be making in December. We can't wait but it does seem a little daunting.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum had gone across to Oz to teach? I think I have to complete a two week course when I get there if I want to join the NSW Teaching Authority. Has anyone done it? How do I sign up for it?
My visa hasn't yet been totally confirmed so this may be a little premature but I'd still like a little more info if possible.

If you are teaching English out there what novels/texts do they read/study? Any advice?

Cheers!
Selena (Birmingham UK.)
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Teaching English in OZ

Dear (Little Pig) Mochinbach,

You are probably better off looking for English teaching jobs rather than Welsh - although the ability to pronounce Eisteddfod will become very helpful!

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and hoping to chat to some people about the big move my partner and I will be making in December. We can't wait but it does seem a little daunting.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum had gone across to Oz to teach? I think I have to complete a two week course when I get there if I want to join the NSW Teaching Authority. Has anyone done it? How do I sign up for it?

Am not all that clear about joining the NSW teaching authority but you will need to be NSW registered - this can be done form the UK and there is some paperwork. When we worked and lived in Oz the OH applied once we arrived but it all toook about three months so the sooner the better.

My understanding of 'state' jobs is that the location is determioned by the state - most probably (definetly) rural in the first place so given the size of NSW think inland!

You could also consider the private schools - about 35% of all schoool are not state - and you might have more contriol over where you settle.

My visa hasn't yet been totally confirmed so this may be a little premature but I'd still like a little more info if possible.

If you are teaching English out there what novels/texts do they read/study? Any advice?

Cheers!
Selena (Birmingham UK.)
Hope this helps a bit

Bezza
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
Dear (Little Pig) Mochinbach,

You are probably better off looking for English teaching jobs rather than Welsh - although the ability to pronounce Eisteddfod will become very helpful!

Hope this helps a bit

Bezza
Glad you can speak welsh! lol. Was confused for a mo there! I love pigs, collect cuddly versions thus the name...

I will be looking for an English post when I get there. I wanted to know about the two week course I have to got through. Has anyone been through it?
Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Glad you can speak welsh! lol. Was confused for a mo there! I love pigs, collect cuddly versions thus the name...

I will be looking for an English post when I get there. I wanted to know about the two week course I have to got through. Has anyone been through it?
Now I'm confused - what 2 week course? Don't think any other teacher has posted about any course.

Bezza
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Teaching English in OZ

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
Now I'm confused - what 2 week course? Don't think any other teacher has posted about any course.

Bezza

According to what I have read (and posts on this forum) in order to teach in NSW you have to complete a 2 week conversion/orientation course. It seems to involve an explanation of the curriculum and then a short teaching placement and assessment. I was trying to gain more information.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy-G will become famous soon enoughSammy-G will become famous soon enough

According to what I have read (and posts on this forum) in order to teach in NSW you have to complete a 2 week conversion/orientation course. It seems to involve an explanation of the curriculum and then a short teaching placement and assessment. I was trying to gain more information.
Yes indeed you are correct mochinbach - you have to complete the pre-employment program for overseas trained teachers before you can teach in NSW. You may have already found this page, but just in case you haven't - the full details are here:

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/employmen...rseastrain.htm

I'm in the same position as you - I will be in NSW looking for work as a secondary english teacher.

This link is quite useful for info on the curriculum and syllabus:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/writing_briefs/

Scroll down to english and the following title has a listing of texts studied - 'Fiction, Film and other Texts - A support document for the English Years 7-10 Syllabus.

Some great aboriginal texts that I believe are sometimes studied are 'Coonardoo', 'Deadly, Unna?' and 'Mudrooroo' - they are a really good read if nothing else and if you haven't read any aboriginal literature then I would recommend giving them a go. Poetry wise Les Murray is fab and if you haven't come across him before is worth giving a go as he has strong opinions on what it is to be Australian. Not sure if he's studied at High School. As you'll see from the link above, most of the texts that are studied you will probably be familiar with anyway.

HTH

Sam
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sammy-G
Yes indeed you are correct mochinbach - you have to complete the pre-employment program for overseas trained teachers before you can teach in NSW. You may have already found this page, but just in case you haven't - the full details are here:

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/employmen...rseastrain.htm

I'm in the same position as you - I will be in NSW looking for work as a secondary english teacher.

This link is quite useful for info on the curriculum and syllabus:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/writing_briefs/

Scroll down to english and the following title has a listing of texts studied - 'Fiction, Film and other Texts - A support document for the English Years 7-10 Syllabus.

Some great aboriginal texts that I believe are sometimes studied are 'Coonardoo', 'Deadly, Unna?' and 'Mudrooroo' - they are a really good read if nothing else and if you haven't read any aboriginal literature then I would recommend giving them a go. Poetry wise Les Murray is fab and if you haven't come across him before is worth giving a go as he has strong opinions on what it is to be Australian. Not sure if he's studied at High School. As you'll see from the link above, most of the texts that are studied you will probably be familiar with anyway.

HTH

Sam
Thank you so much that's really useful! When are you planning to leave?
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy-G will become famous soon enoughSammy-G will become famous soon enough

Thank you so much that's really useful! When are you planning to leave?

Oh not for another year But have been getting myself excited by doing lots of research!!

I haven't actually done my PGCE yet - I start it in September, and we plan to leave as soon after I finish it as possible. Whereabouts in NSW are you planning to go? At the moment My OH and I and have decided on Sydney, but Brisbane is also a possibility, so this could change!

Sammy
Old Aug 13th 2006, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sammy-G
Oh not for another year But have been getting myself excited by doing lots of research!!

I haven't actually done my PGCE yet - I start it in September, and we plan to leave as soon after I finish it as possible. Whereabouts in NSW are you planning to go? At the moment My OH and I and have decided on Sydney, but Brisbane is also a possibility, so this could change!

Sammy

We're heading to the north beaches, Manly or somewhere more northerly I think. We're planning to fly to Alice Springs in Early Jan and then backback to Sydney before settling there for the rest of the year and gettting teaching posts etc.
The school term starting in Feb it should all time well (i hope - It's a long way from Alice Springs to Sydney!)