Teaching Eligibility

Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:35 am
Just Joined

SMRL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching Eligibility

Hi,

We're heading to Melbourne on a 457 (through my work) and are in the process of looking into what my GF needs to do to be able to teach in Victoria.

From what I can see she needs to register with the Victorian Institute of Teaching to have her qualifications/experience assessed etc. Is this all that is required?

Also I was just reading the 'Department of Education and Early Childhood Development' website and nearly had a heart attack. It says:

"If you are not an Australian citizen you will require permanent residence status in Australia to gain employment as a teacher in Victorian government schools"

Obviously we won't be permanent residents, but my GF is able to work on the 457. I was just hoping someone could clarify whether she will be able to register for, and undertake Casual Relief Work for the duration of our stay?

Bit worried just now so any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching Eligibility

Originally Posted by 5M79
Hi,

We're heading to Melbourne on a 457 (through my work) and are in the process of looking into what my GF needs to do to be able to teach in Victoria.

From what I can see she needs to register with the Victorian Institute of Teaching to have her qualifications/experience assessed etc. Is this all that is required?

Also I was just reading the 'Department of Education and Early Childhood Development' website and nearly had a heart attack. It says:

"If you are not an Australian citizen you will require permanent residence status in Australia to gain employment as a teacher in Victorian government schools"

Obviously we won't be permanent residents, but my GF is able to work on the 457. I was just hoping someone could clarify whether she will be able to register for, and undertake Casual Relief Work for the duration of our stay?

Thanks
Plenty of private schools in Vic. Think there may be some kind of orientation course to complete as well. If the state are saying they won't take teachers on temp visa's then it must be true? They do in WA, but all the states have their own rules.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 5M79
Hi,

Thanks
Yes she can work but just not in a permanent position, more substitute teaching. As long as she is also on the 457 she is eligible to work.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:12 am
Just Joined

LincolnBrown is an unknown quantity at this point

Every government has its own laws and regulations .Nothing to worry with a 457 you can get a job in private schools and also in goverment schools as a temporary employee but 457 visa holders can convert to Australian permanent residency status. The 457 visa holders need to apply for a permanent Australia residents visa with a view to permanently settle in Australia and become Australian citizens.