Teaching in Canada

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Avissfamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Teaching in Canada

Hi we're planning to start our PR process soon, but as we're both teachers we really want to be sure we'll get work IN Canada before we start. We'd love to be in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick, Ontario 2nd choice. Any advice as to how we can apply for jobs, when to look websites wtc. We're primary trained both of us.
What are the toughest aspects of coming in as a UK trained teacher? What other employment options do you think there are if teaching doesn't work out???
Cheers,
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:26 am
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Teaching in Canada

Originally Posted by Avissfamily
Hi we're planning to start our PR process soon, but as we're both teachers we really want to be sure we'll get work IN Canada before we start. We'd love to be in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick, Ontario 2nd choice. Any advice as to how we can apply for jobs, when to look websites wtc. We're primary trained both of us.
What are the toughest aspects of coming in as a UK trained teacher? What other employment options do you think there are if teaching doesn't work out???
Cheers,
Hi!
As a Canadian who had her training outside of Canada, I am facing the same dillema. I do know that in order to teach in Ontario you do need an Ontario Teachers Certificate.
This is (or at least used to be - I think the rules have since changed) done by an equivelancy test - i think NOW they are asking you to do some sort of alternative assessment (see this link: http://web.ask.com/redir?u=http%3a%2...nip&Complete=1) and see this link: http://web.ask.com/redir?u=http%3a%2...nip&Complete=1

Hope this helps a bit. Sorry I don't know much about the other provinces - keep us informed as to your plans!
leah
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

jon254 is an unknown quantity at this point

All provinces have differing regulations and requirments. best bet is to go to the provincial website and check to see what they want. The site following has a list of all of them

http://www.caslt.org/Info/associations.htm

Sorry I can't be more help if I hear anything from anyone else I'll let you know, if you could do the same it would be appreciated.

Good luck

Jon

Originally Posted by Avissfamily
Cheers,
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:28 am
Just Joined

Avissfamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jon, if we find any new and wonderful sites we'll post them but I'm sure you know more than us at the moment. Have you looked at private schools? What's your subject? I had a really nice email from a head of a girls' school in Toronto having sent he rmy c.v. and asked for advice but not a job(yet!), she was very pleasant and forwarded my questions to colleagues and friends to answer (none of them have yet mind!). Anyway might be worth ploughing through the Independent schools listing s and writing one by one. Just a though!
G'luck!
Amy

Originally Posted by jon254
All provinces have differing regulations and requirments. best bet is to go to the provincial website and check to see what they want. The site following has a list of all of them

http://www.caslt.org/Info/associations.htm

Sorry I can't be more help if I hear anything from anyone else I'll let you know, if you could do the same it would be appreciated.

Good luck

Jon

Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

jon254 is an unknown quantity at this point

Private schools can be handy. I've been told that some will accept teachers without them being certified , although I cannot verify this.
I'm secondary trained in Design Technology, but teach ICT exclusively (from the days when ICT was part of the D&T syllabus) so should have fun trying to get that one over to the OCT.

We got AOR Aug 04, so we're still a way off yet, but are on another reccy this Easter with a few appointments to look at schools as both a parent and teacher.

Their system, as you've probably worked out, is very different to ours, so lots of home work. I did have a scout at New Brunswicks certification criteria and it's much the same as Ontario with the requirement that you are landed before you can start the certification process (really helpful). Well goto go. Enjoy reading.

Best Wishes
Jon
Old Feb 6th 2005, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Originally Posted by jon254
Private schools can be handy. I've been told that some will accept teachers without them being certified , although I cannot verify this.
I'm secondary trained in Design Technology, but teach ICT exclusively (from the days when ICT was part of the D&T syllabus) so should have fun trying to get that one over to the OCT.

We got AOR Aug 04, so we're still a way off yet, but are on another reccy this Easter with a few appointments to look at schools as both a parent and teacher.

Their system, as you've probably worked out, is very different to ours, so lots of home work. I did have a scout at New Brunswicks certification criteria and it's much the same as Ontario with the requirement that you are landed before you can start the certification process (really helpful). Well goto go. Enjoy reading.

Best Wishes
Jon
Hi Jon,
just read the website you posted for Amy, had a good look and it helps me alot thanks. I am not a qualified teacher, but have been an SSA for 8 years. I am going over to Halifax as an Early Childhood Educator, so have been looking at courses that can improve my knowledge. I work with mentally and physically impaired kids from 3 to 16 years in a special needs school. I would really want to do the same when i go over. Have been applying for work in pre-schools as should show for my application, but really want to go into special needs schools.

Amy,
how are you getting on with your process, have you decieded where in NS you are going? Pm me if you want.