Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Teaching in Australia with Post grad qualification!

Teaching in Australia with Post grad qualification!

Old Sep 20th 2009, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

LolaCol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Australia with Post grad qualification!

Hi!

Can anyone advise if I am eligible to teach in Australia with the 1 yr post grad teaching qualification?? I have just completed my probation yr and so have 1 yrs teaching experience aswell. I plan to move to Australia for a yr and would really only be looking for supply work!

Hope someone can help!

Thanks in advance

L
Old Sep 20th 2009, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Australia with Post grad qualification!

To teach in Australia you have to have a four year University education, one year of which must be teacher training. So if you have an undergraduate degree with a PGCE, you should be fine. Be aware though that the GTP route to teaching is not recognised in Australia.

If you are coming to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa and plan on working everywhere in the country as a Relief Teacher, you will need to be registered as a teacher in every state. Without state registration, you cannot teach in either a public or private school.

A suggestion is that if you know where you are going to enter Australia and hope to find work, that you commence the registration process for that state before you leave UK as it can take 4 - 6 weeks to complete and "have you on the books"!

Gooid Luck and enjoy your time in Oz!