Teaching in Australia

Old Apr 3rd 2013, 4:11 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 5
Kimander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Australia

Hello, I am new to this site! I am a fully qualified teacher of ICT and Business with special needs training and experience. I am hoping to emigrate to Australia to a) provide a better life for my family and b) be closer to my sister in Cairns. Thing is I am completely clueless as to how I might go about securing work in Australia. I am willing to consider a rural school if it would provide a decent sponsorship and a job. I'm not the richest person in the world due to my family commitments but I am a hard worker and dedicated to my profession. I have primary and secondary experience and currently teach in special education so am reasonably flexible. What I need to know us a) what's the cheapest route? B) what visa would I need and how do I go about getting this? C) can I secure a position before paying out on visa's??

Many thanks in advance
Kimander is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2013, 10:49 pm
  #2  
Just Joined
 
Almost's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 6
Almost is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Australia

First and foremost do not use an agent unless you are willing to part with 20%-40% of your salary. Search out the city forums in Perth, Sydney, Adelaide, and wherever else you want to teach and look through the job classifieds. My former roomie in China found a good-paying job there with housing by doing exactly this. Good luck!
Almost is offline  
Old May 2nd 2013, 12:01 am
  #3  
HMP Queensland
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,215
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Australia

Originally Posted by Kimander View Post
Hello, I am new to this site! I am a fully qualified teacher of ICT and Business with special needs training and experience. I am hoping to emigrate to Australia to a) provide a better life for my family and b) be closer to my sister in Cairns. Thing is I am completely clueless as to how I might go about securing work in Australia. I am willing to consider a rural school if it would provide a decent sponsorship and a job. I'm not the richest person in the world due to my family commitments but I am a hard worker and dedicated to my profession. I have primary and secondary experience and currently teach in special education so am reasonably flexible. What I need to know us a) what's the cheapest route? B) what visa would I need and how do I go about getting this? C) can I secure a position before paying out on visa's??

Many thanks in advance
Visa-wise start here - http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/
Pollyana is offline  
Old May 2nd 2013, 12:02 am
  #4  
HMP Queensland
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,215
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Australia

Originally Posted by Almost View Post
First and foremost do not use an agent unless you are willing to part with 20%-40% of your salary. Search out the city forums in Perth, Sydney, Adelaide, and wherever else you want to teach and look through the job classifieds. My former roomie in China found a good-paying job there with housing by doing exactly this. Good luck!
WIth all due respect, teaching jobs are rather different from those in housing. The OP will need to follow whatever registration process is current for the State in which they wish to work, and qualify for a visa, before they can even think about how to actually gain employment.
Pollyana is offline  
Old May 28th 2013, 6:07 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: manchester
Posts: 101
poppyandpeanut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Australia

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
WIth all due respect, teaching jobs are rather different from those in housing. The OP will need to follow whatever registration process is current for the State in which they wish to work, and qualify for a visa, before they can even think about how to actually gain employment.
Still good advice though, I had 2 friends in Perth land jobs in the pvt sector by doing exactly this.
poppyandpeanut is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2013, 5:55 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1
julie smith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Australia

I would also like some information about teaching in AUs. I am a business studies teacher with economics and accounting experience. original qualification is accounting and finance degree and qualified AAT. I would like to teach in Aus at secondary level and would not mind a rural school. Wondered in anyone out there could give me advice as I do not have too much money to invest in expensive visa and are looking at starting on a working visa first. I visited my colleague who emigrated last year at Easter and she is very happy teaching in Adelaide.

Can anyone give me some smart advice and help it would be greatly appreciated

Julie
julie smith is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.