Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Teachers posted to non-metro areas?

Teachers posted to non-metro areas?

Old Nov 11th 2007, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

dazarooni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teachers posted to non-metro areas?

Have any teachers emigrated to Oz with state sponsorship?

I'm led to believe that you would initially be posted to a school in a regional part of the state i.e not Perth, Sydney etc.

Has anyone experienced this? Where were you posted? How are you doing?

Thanks

dazarooni
Old Nov 13th 2007, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Teachers posted to non-metro areas?

Originally Posted by dazarooni
Have any teachers emigrated to Oz with state sponsorship?

I'm led to believe that you would initially be posted to a school in a regional part of the state i.e not Perth, Sydney etc.

Has anyone experienced this? Where were you posted? How are you doing?

Thanks

dazarooni
depends upon the state. When WA sponser people to go over on a temp visa they will send you to a rural area for 2 years, after which they will sponser you for PR and you can move.

Other states will sponser for PR directly for teachers of some subjects and you can go where you like. But this is trickier to get.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
we are sponsorship with WA.

People have been posted loads of places depending on need. I know teachers on the scheme who are in Bunbury, Manjimup, Esperance,Kattaning then you get people being posted to Northam, Geraldton, Carnarvon, Karratha. Other place is Kalagoorlie Boulder.
You are placed in school that is need of your subject. However you are not really given much option to choose exact location. * But you can give input about where you are and not prepared to teach and they will make a note of it.

As far as I know none of the overseas teachers have gone in the middle of a desert or anything. There is a lot of rubbish on the internet about rural posts. Most are in towns which have some sort of shopping centre and facilities. So your hardly doing without. However you may be some way from Perth, you are entitled to free flights or costs if driving to Perth once per year for you and any of your family.

Some teachers have settled well. However have to admit you do get the odd teacher who finds rural teaching or Australia is not for them.

*However have to say that jobs are rural, and some schools are deamed demanding. However most teachers seam to cope ok. But you must be prepared for this.

You are given housing and job on arrival. WA education will do your PR visa after 2 years service.

GEMS
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

dazarooni is an unknown quantity at this point

So how are you finding things Gems?