British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   Teachers contracted hours (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/teachers-contracted-hours-290041/)

Nick11 Mar 14th 2005 8:19 pm

Teachers contracted hours

Hi, I would appreciate your comments/views.

I work as a foundation teacher(part time)I work Wednesday afternoon,all day Thursday and Friday.On my contract it says the pupil week is 27.5 hours, but my working time is specified as 13.5 hours.It says I'm required to work 1265 hours over 195 days per year,plus 'any work needed to discharge the teachers duties'
Does this mean than I am working in excess of 20 hours a week, or would DIMIA class it as less.Obviously anyone who teaches knows you don't turn up at 9 in the morningwith the kids and leave at the end of the day with them, but would the relevant authorities see it as this.
Does anyone out there have any experiences similar to this when dealing with Dimia.
I thought it might be better posting this thread on here,rather than the main immigration site.
THANKS

Robinson Family Mar 14th 2005 9:23 pm

Re: Teachers contracted hours

Hi Nick
Last year we were all set to apply for a vias using my skills and qualifications. I am a secondary teacher. At the time I worked three full days (16.5). We were unable to apply for a visa because of the 20 hour ruling. Really unfair !!!!because like many I spend lots of hours doing prep etc.
We were lucky because my hubbie trained has a toolmaker when he left school and his skills got us our visa.
Speak with a migration agent. Pm me if you want the name of ours. They will be able to explain the ruling.
Hope things work out.
Andrea

Originally Posted by Nick11

I work as a foundation teacher(part time)I work Wednesday afternoon,all day Thursday and Friday.On my contract it says the pupil week is 27.5 hours, but my working time is specified as 13.5 hours.It says I'm required to work 1265 hours over 195 days per year,plus 'any work needed to discharge the teachers duties'
Does this mean than I am working in excess of 20 hours a week, or would DIMIA class it as less.Obviously anyone who teaches knows you don't turn up at 9 in the morningwith the kids and leave at the end of the day with them, but would the relevant authorities see it as this.
Does anyone out there have any experiences similar to this when dealing with Dimia.
I thought it might be better posting this thread on here,rather than the main immigration site.
THANKS

Bubbles Mar 30th 2005 7:07 pm

THANKS

Hi

i only have a part time contract but i have other semi permanent teaching jobs - 1/2 days for different schools etc supply and music work mainly. This is how i made up the time although it was difficult to lay out on paper. Don't know if this helps

teach Apr 1st 2005 7:18 pm

THANKS

Hi,
A friend of mine also works part time, at the last minute it looked as though DIMIA were not going to give her family the visa due to lack of hours. She wrote a stat dec stating all her duties in the school including all the time planning, preparing, marking etc. DIMIA accepted this and their visa was granted. Hope this helps. Best of luck,
Sarah

LindyLoo Apr 4th 2005 2:58 pm

THANKS

Nick

Whoever you get to do your reference from the school, get them to confirm that you work for 20 hours a week. I told one of our deputes in confidence, he put everything I gave him onto headed note paper for me.

It'll be easy to state, classroom time, preparation time, administration, other duties. As long as you can officialy state that you would be working for the requisite 20 hours a week.

Something like this,

Duties of a classroom teacher included:

• teaching assigned classes
• developing the school curriculum
• assessing, recording and reporting on the work of pupils
• preparing pupils for examinations,
• providing advice and guidance to pupils
• continually keeping abreast of curriculum knowledge

Nick11 Apr 4th 2005 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by LindyLoo
Nick

Whoever you get to do your reference from the school, get them to confirm that you work for 20 hours a week. I told one of our deputes in confidence, he put everything I gave him onto headed note paper for me.

It'll be easy to state, classroom time, preparation time, administration, other duties. As long as you can officialy state that you would be working for the requisite 20 hours a week.

Something like this,

Duties of a classroom teacher included:

• teaching assigned classes
• developing the school curriculum
• assessing, recording and reporting on the work of pupils
• preparing pupils for examinations,
• providing advice and guidance to pupils
• continually keeping abreast of curriculum knowledge

Cheers for that