Teacher training in oz

Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

DannyB2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teacher training in oz

Alrite people,

I'm quite new to this site, so didn't realy know what section to put this under. Anyways, I'm 22 and emigrating with my parents and 3 siblings...prob end of this year. We're heading towards Perth, not quite sure where to settle yet...Perth, Poole around that area.
I have just been accepted on to a PGCE course, which is a 10 month teacher training course. I will have a BSc with honours in forensic science in July, but wanted the extra qualification.
If I do take this course, and after 10 months travel to Oz to meet up with my family, would this be recognised as a valid qualification, enabling me to teach in Oz? I would be qualified to teach Science to 11-16 yr olds.
Or would it just be easier to emirgrate with the family, and possibly apply in the Perth region?
Any help on this would be great as I'm rather stuck and confused.

Thanks
Danny
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice
Default Re: Teacher training in oz

Personally I would advise you to do the PGCE in the UK as it is funded my the government and you may also get some financial payments whilst completing your training. The PGCE is a recognised qualification in OZ and as far as I know you can do your NQT year in OZ although this may not be recognised if you were to return to the UK.

When I looked into doing a PGCE type qulaification in OZ I found the cost too high and it was also a two year course.

I would suggest you perhaps re post this question in the teacher section as you may get more advice.

Good luck
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:16 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely do the PGCE in the UK. I personally think the training/support is better in the UK and you could then register to teach in WA when you've completed it.

You would also be able to teach in the UK if you were to ever return without being classed as an 'overseas trained teacher'.

Unfortuntely you would not be able to complete your NQT year in Australia to satisfy the requirements (Have to do that in UK) but you would be able to start work in Australia immediately.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Agreed, the teacher training is far better in the UK than in Oz in my opinion. Not least amongst the differences is the fact that in Oz you only have to spend 45 days actually in schools, whereas in the UK it's something like 150.

Just make sure you validate your visa before you start the course, you wouldn't be able to get your own visa immediately after qualifying.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

DannyB2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm traveling on my parents Visa which has already been validated etc. So, if I completed the course in the UK and done the NQT year then traveled to Oz, I would be eligable to teach in Oz right away? Is there any conversion courses or extra courses that I would have to take? Is the teacher pay good in Oz? And also what are the school hours and holidays like, are they the same as the UK?
Cheers people, been a great help.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:39 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

No, if you did the PGCE (Primary or Secondary, but not in FE) at a proper University (some colleges, some SCITT programs and the GTP aren't recognised by Australia) then you could register as a Teacher in Australia without the need to complete any further courses.

You could then register with WACOT (WA College of Teaching) and apply to the Dept of Education (to work in public schools). You'd have to attend a free 3 day course and complete 10 days satisfactory relief teaching to get your licence.