Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

A teacher new to OZ - My experience so far

A teacher new to OZ - My experience so far

Old May 2nd 2007, 7:58 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A teacher new to OZ - My experience so far

Sounds great Mochinbach, I'm glad tis all starting to come together a bit! Hmm, wish you'd bring that IWB training a little further north (Alice!). My school just got one and it sits in the office cos nobody knows how to use it. I think some teachers are going away at some point to Darwin to learn and then come back and confuse us all with their newfound wisdom! I wish I had the chance to be more technologically minded - need a bit of a kick up the proverbial as I'm still a bit wary of it.

Feels like UK is ahead of us, at least in respect to IWB. Maybe it's because you stick to the one classroom and let the kids come to you? More chance to have things set up/established? Hmm, maybe that's just Scotland? Wherever it is, I miss it! Hate being in a different room for every class and having to lug books around and papers and everythings a huge, chaotic mess...Some days I need a wheelbarrow, and am seriously considering getting one of those granny grocery carts. Can you imagine the looks on my year 9s faces???

Saying all that, I hope IWB means Interactive White Board or I'm
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

No that's right IWB is indeed an interactive whiteboard.

Yeah in Secondary school we have our own classrooms and the kids come to us.
I'd say you guys are about 5 years behind the U.K. with your technology.

Look, If you're interested go to www.teachertechnologies.com I've put some useful stuff there that might help. If you want advice use the email address there to ask questions. Only too happy to help.
Old May 4th 2007, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Got offered a job today. Just part time in a Senior College. Then discovered that I'm not registered with DECS! - Another form to fill in!!!

They;re fast tracking me - THANK GOD!

You'll need this link....

LOL.

Have fun!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Hello again..

Because it's hard to get Interactive Whiteboard training I have created this moodle... Log in and join if you like..

I'm thinking of those of you in country schools??

www.teachertechnologies.com/moodle
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Hello again!

Well I've been working at the college for 3 months now and the department still don't have me on the correct pay! lol

You need to get statements of service from your schools/LEAs which tell them when and where you worked, what percentage of time (ie fulltime, .6 etc) how many days unpaid leave you had etc. It's taken them 2 months to tell me i need that info (which landed us nicely in the Uk's summer hols) and now i'm waiting for B'ham LEA to get through the red tape and send me my letter!

I'm teaching the New Arrival Program. which is interesting - I'm working with former refugees from Aganistan, Sudan etc and helping them to learn English Language skills as well as basic computer skills. It's not what I thought I'd be doing but it's a nice change and the staff at the college are really great.

One thing high school teachers should bear in mind is that we don't have our own classroom in Oz. We move from lesson to lesson from room to room in most High Schools. Instead you get your own desk in an office to do your marking etc from and you'll need to buy a couple of canvas bags to carry your stuff in

If anyone is heading to Adelaide and needs some help then let me know (i'm here until the end of Novemeber)

Old Sep 8th 2007, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

One last thought...
When I was looking for a job int he paper (check the advertiser on a saturday in SA) i was bemused by codes such as point 2 or point 8

here's what it means

.2 = 1 day equivalent
.4 = 2 days
.6 = 3 days
.8 = 4 days
1.0 = Full time

Just remember that in most High schools it isn't going to be possible to give you the day off if you're .8 and you might find yourself with a morning or afternoon off here and there!

Apparently this is standard businnes talk but as a teacher used to F/t or P/t it stumped me good and proper! lol

For those of you looking for work fast I'd suggest finding out which college has all the New arrivals (the refugees) that area of education is expanding and i you have a tefl qualiication you'll be laughing! I'm teahing Nap computing at the moment and I'm a qualified Secondary English teacher. My college (Thebarton Senior College) are always looking for more TRT staff too - they tend to give them all contracts after a while!
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

Sorry, but could you advise what DECS is please?

I am hoping to be out in melbourne sometime this year (if they hurry up with the visa) and want to make sure that I have everything done before I go.

I have got full registration with VIT (victoria institute of teaching). Do I need to get anything else?????
Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Decs =

Department of Education and Child Services

Old Oct 31st 2007, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

It wasn't out of sinlk when i recorded it Google vids did it!

Hope this helps anyway

Last edited by Mochinbach; Oct 31st 2007 at 12:21 am.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

moondust7 has a spectacular aura aboutmoondust7 has a spectacular aura aboutmoondust7 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mochinbach

It wasn't out of sinlk when i recorded it Google vids did it!

Hope this helps anyway
that was really helpful as I have done tonnes of research but didn't realise I needed a number from SA either. I plan to sit down with a pad and pen this evening and watch it again, writing down everything I need to do.

Thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

naomijmoore is just really nicenaomijmoore is just really nicenaomijmoore is just really nicenaomijmoore is just really nicenaomijmoore is just really nicenaomijmoore is just really nicenaomijmoore is just really nicenaomijmoore is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
Hello again!

Well I've been working at the college for 3 months now and the department still don't have me on the correct pay! lol

You need to get statements of service from your schools/LEAs which tell them when and where you worked, what percentage of time (ie fulltime, .6 etc) how many days unpaid leave you had etc. It's taken them 2 months to tell me i need that info (which landed us nicely in the Uk's summer hols) and now i'm waiting for B'ham LEA to get through the red tape and send me my letter!

I'm teaching the New Arrival Program. which is interesting - I'm working with former refugees from Aganistan, Sudan etc and helping them to learn English Language skills as well as basic computer skills. It's not what I thought I'd be doing but it's a nice change and the staff at the college are really great.

One thing high school teachers should bear in mind is that we don't have our own classroom in Oz. We move from lesson to lesson from room to room in most High Schools. Instead you get your own desk in an office to do your marking etc from and you'll need to buy a couple of canvas bags to carry your stuff in

If anyone is heading to Adelaide and needs some help then let me know (i'm here until the end of Novemeber)

Hi, I have really enjoyed reading your story and what you have been going through since being in Adelaide.

My story is a bit complicated too and was wondering if you could give any advice on it?

I am currently in my NQT year as a technology teacher, I have been told that we (my boyfriend and I) can apply for the state sponsered visa, but were limited to where we could go. SA being one of them so we have been researching Adelaide. It sounds wonderfull, was wondering why you have chosen it and if youu would recommend it?

We have now recently found out because my boyfriend has a degree we get an extra 5 points and are now elegible to apply for the PR visa and can move anywhere. Have you heard about that?
We have thought, and still think Adelaide is a good option.
We are going to start with the skilled assessment now as apparently we can do that before the NQT year is finished.
Would you advise an agency or doing it ourselves?

sorry lots of questions but we are at the early stages.

I hope you can update me on any information you have.
Thanks
Naomi
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:04 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you do it yourself. The Teaching Australia skills assessment is very simple compared to some others.

Once you get that, the visa application is also simple. Just make sure you read everything and fill in the forms carefully.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

chequer is on a distinguished road

Wow Selena

The video is excellent. I breathed a sigh of relief as I am well on the way to having all the UK bits of the documentation I need and I've made my list of what to chase up when I (eventually) arrive. The process seems so long.

Just waiting now for my wife to do her English test on 16th Feb then we can finally send in our visa application! Woohoo.

I was really pleased to hear that you can get a post via supply teaching. I've been getting a little worried about whether I would be get a job or not!

Anyway, well done for the video, it was a great way of sharing your information.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Lara_jane is an unknown quantity at this point

I loved my IWB. Do they have them in many primary schools do you know? Would it be something worth highlighting on my CV? Bracknell Forest LEA was actually years ahead of many LEAs in putting them in and giving us all training. I have never actually taught without one (except of course when it broke and I couldn't fix it).
Thanks for the info. I am going to give the visa a go myself without an agent.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lara_jane
I loved my IWB. Do they have them in many primary schools do you know? Would it be something worth highlighting on my CV? Bracknell Forest LEA was actually years ahead of many LEAs in putting them in and giving us all training. I have never actually taught without one (except of course when it broke and I couldn't fix it).
Thanks for the info. I am going to give the visa a go myself without an agent.
oh definately mention IWBs! Well I would in SA (adelaide) anyway... You're just in time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.