Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Teach in Perth or Brisbane

Teach in Perth or Brisbane

Old Dec 10th 2005, 12:28 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Teach in Perth or Brisbane

Hi,
Have almost convinced husband to apply to migrate to Australia!!! We are going to fill in TRA and NOOSR forms this weekend to get our skills assessed. How long should it take? Says on internet up to 3 months, I am so impatient I want to know NOW!! Then when we have had our skills approved (fingers crossed) how long approximately has it taken your guys to get a skilled visa? I dread waiting 1-2 years!

Thinking about Brisbane or Perth to settle, ANY OPINIONS? I will have 1 years teaching experience come August and want to know realistically how hard is it to get a primary teaching post? Will I have to supply forever? Getting perm jobs in Bristol is pretty tough so that is okay but I am concerned it may be near impossible. Any teachers out there who have done it successfully, I would love to hear your stories.

Thanks
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:14 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Teach in Perth or Brisbane

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi,
Have almost convinced husband to apply to migrate to Australia!!! We are going to fill in TRA and NOOSR forms this weekend to get our skills assessed. How long should it take? Says on internet up to 3 months, I am so impatient I want to know NOW!! Then when we have had our skills approved (fingers crossed) how long approximately has it taken your guys to get a skilled visa? I dread waiting 1-2 years!

Thinking about Brisbane or Perth to settle, ANY OPINIONS? I will have 1 years teaching experience come August and want to know realistically how hard is it to get a primary teaching post? Will I have to supply forever? Getting perm jobs in Bristol is pretty tough so that is okay but I am concerned it may be near impossible. Any teachers out there who have done it successfully, I would love to hear your stories.

Thanks
Afraid you're going to need to have three years teaching experience I'm afraid before you send your visa application off. You'll pass the noosr part as it stands but if you're the lead applicant on the visa (skilled visa) you'll need those three years.

For the record, I'm in my fifth year and am a Primary teacher in Brisbane. The other thing to point out is that it is near impossible to get a permanent teaching position in Brisbane. I've been rated as an S1 (highest ranking) and I, like many Australian teachers don't get permanent jobs. Education Qld is messed up! That said, Brisbane is fab and I have a long term contract so I don't care! Can't comment on Perth.

Good luck!

Sam
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:41 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Teach in Perth or Brisbane

Hi Sam
Thanks for your response. We are hoping to put my husband as the main applicant. He is a mechanical engineer and has been working forever. I thought it might be the case that I might not have enough experience to be the main applicant. Will it matter when I am over there for finding a job, will they want more than 18-24 months experience? I am only on a year long contract now, seems like perm teaching jobs are a think of the past wherever you are. Is it hard getting jobs? That is the only thing we are worried about.
Can I ask you a few more questions...
How long did your visa app take from start to finish?
Was it worth it?
How do you rate it to the UK?
Weather?
Brisbane - a great place to settle?
Do you have any photographs??

Thanks
Michelle