To teach or not to teach?

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

blueblueliz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question To teach or not to teach?

I am in the process of applying for visas for Oz. I am a year 6 teacher in england and have been reading all the posts on this forum. I thought it was going to be fairly easy to find a job in australia as a primary teacher- its seems i was quite wrong!
I have a degree in Environmental Biology with a PGCE. Does any one have any ideas as the best state to go to? We had originally thought South Australia near to adelaide. What other options could i have if not teaching??
thanks
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To teach or not to teach?

Originally Posted by blueblueliz
I am in the process of applying for visas for Oz. I am a year 6 teacher in england and have been reading all the posts on this forum. I thought it was going to be fairly easy to find a job in australia as a primary teacher- its seems i was quite wrong!
I have a degree in Environmental Biology with a PGCE. Does any one have any ideas as the best state to go to? We had originally thought South Australia near to adelaide. What other options could i have if not teaching??
thanks

im heading to SA in Jan im also a primary teacher. I have secured a job but think thats because Im the only one who applied

I think your degree sounds ideal for teaching in Sa at least. Anything to do with the Environment as far as Ive looked seems to have high status. I think youd be ideal as a teacher over there.

Good luck anyway.

regards

Lolly
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 8:12 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I'm 4 year BEd trained so not clued up on the postgrad route to teaching BUT I have noticed a lot of posts here and on the TES about Australian states/territories not accepting less than a 1 year course of teacher training (such as PGDE) after initial degree. I've heard that they also take into account the subjects covered in the initial degree more than England.

I think you would be wise to get in touch with some of the Education Departments (or more to the point the state/territory registration bodies, such as the Queensland College of Teachers in err...Queensland to find out what they require/what the standard is, for registration. It is nearly impossible to teach in most states now without registration - even in independent schools.

Do a google search of the Teacher Employment webpage. It's a brown background:

http://www.teachers.ash.org.au/aussi...employment.htm

and provides weblinks to the Edu Dept and other bodies for each state and territory in Australia. Just contact a few to suss out what they think of your quals - at least you'll then know where you stand. I'd try Qld first because they're quite strict (and if they accept you, you know you're fine!)

You can start the process of registration from the UK - most ppl seem to recommend it. And many states/territories have reciprocal agreements regarding registration (ie: registered in Qld I can apply for recip. agreements with WA, SA, New Zealand), if you change your mind on where you want to be!

Good luck!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Andy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud of

I'm a Primary teacher (Year 6) and did a PGCE for a year. I've had my skills assessed (as suitable) and have been accepted by SA for SIR visa. I didn't have enough points for any other visa as I've only been teaching since September 05. So with regards qualifications, a 3 year degree (mine's theology!) and a one year post-grad certificate was enough for me. Now begins the lengthy visa application...

Good Luck

Carla

p.s. Lolly - Are you sure I couldn't get 2a for ICT?!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy & Carla
I'm a Primary teacher (Year 6) and did a PGCE for a year. I've had my skills assessed (as suitable) and have been accepted by SA for SIR visa. I didn't have enough points for any other visa as I've only been teaching since September 05. So with regards qualifications, a 3 year degree (mine's theology!) and a one year post-grad certificate was enough for me. Now begins the lengthy visa application...

Good Luck

Carla

p.s. Lolly - Are you sure I couldn't get 2a for ICT?!
Hello Carla..

Im sure the visa process will fly by...get yourself organised during this time..ie register with education dept of SA. book your first aid and child protection courses as soon as you can. if you have a house get it on the market asap.

As for 2a in ICT...mmmm!!! you yr 6 surely you should be up there in the level 4's

We use digital excellence to level and digigy bear for ks1...enuf said

good luck. If i can help in anyway pm me..i will eventually get back to you. A bit of upheaval going on here at the mo..moving out very soon
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:50 am
Just Joined

blueblueliz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to you all thats great advice-i'll get started now! I can't wait.

I'll try SA first as thats my ideal destination.

Thanks again really excited again now!