Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Teach australia...skills assessment...how long?

Teach australia...skills assessment...how long?

Old Apr 13th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice
Question Teach australia...skills assessment...how long?

Hey

Hope someone may be able to help.

I am currently in the process of applying for an STNI with Victoria. I have got through the initial stages and they have asked me to get my qualifications checked and also registered with the Victorian teaching authority...only trouble is they have only given me till mid May to do this.

I sent all my paperwork off to Teach Australia and they debited my account for payment on the 9th of March. Since then I have heard nothing, even though on their website it states I should have been given a receipt and reference number.

Anyone else in this position currently or able to advise how long their skills check was before they received confirmation?

Cheers
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

The Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really nice
Default Re: Teach australia...skills assessment...how long?

Hi Freckles,

My forms went in the post this afternoon. Please keep us posted on how long it takes before you hear anything. I will let you know if (and when) we get a reply.

The Hutspots

PS What subject do you teach and where are you planning to settle in victoria?
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice
Smile Re: Teach australia...skills assessment...how long?

Will do.

I teach Design Technology. Not sure yet about which area of Victoria as I don't really know it very well, more familiar with NSW. I have read a lot of posts on here about such a question and the advice has always been good so I guess nearer the time I may post a qustion and see what areas are suggested. Do you already have a location in mind?
Old Apr 14th 2007, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

english_monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm an ICT teacher going through the same process. I first applied to Teach Australia - only took 6 weeks, was really surprised, recieved the certificate just a week after they acknowleged my application. I then applied to Victoria - they told me to register with VIT - problem is this requires a UK criminal records check which could take up to 40 days!
Old May 13th 2007, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just to give you an update on timescales......teach australia took 5 weeks and VIT took only 4 weeks which I thought was pretty good....just waiting to hear now if victoria will sponsor me so keep your fingers crossed

Have either of you heard any news yet?
Old May 13th 2007, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Forgot to say, VIT accepted my CRB instead of a police check which made things quicker....although police check has now arrived in the meantime an took exactly 40 days
Old May 13th 2007, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by freckles1970
Forgot to say, VIT accepted my CRB instead of a police check which made things quicker....although police check has now arrived in the meantime an took exactly 40 days
I'm sending off application to VIT with CRB tomorrow - can't wait any longer as only have 6 more weeks until Victoria close my file - 4 weeks would be good for me - wonder if they'll let me apply again if I miss the deadline? Have you applied for the 134 visa yet? Found out from DIMA website that you can apply before being nominated by Victoria, the application only gets processsed when sposorship is confirmed
Old May 13th 2007, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am going for a 137 visa, what is the 134...is that a regional SIR? I sent crb and didn't even ask if this was ok...they just accepted it. Also had the same deadline issue as you and found out I did not need to get skills assessed by teach australia to get VIT assessment done...annoyed as I guess it has delayed things as I sent off for it and waited before i sent VIT off!

Do you have a web link for the site that says you can send off applictaion before you get sponsorshop?
Old May 16th 2007, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

jo n craig is a jewel in the roughjo n craig is a jewel in the roughjo n craig is a jewel in the roughjo n craig is a jewel in the rough

Hey!
I sent my docs via agent to teaching oz got a reply about 5 weeks later!
Jo x
Old May 17th 2007, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

134 is the skills matching visa, only 6 months work experience needed (I'm an NQT). You can read about it here

Apparently you apply for the visa first then when you get sponsored by a State (in my case Victoria), the application gets processed and payment is taken.
Old May 27th 2007, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

The Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really nice

Hooray!

I have a shiny new certificate from teaching australia - received in the post yesterday (26 may 2007) and sent in the post 13th april 2007. I received a mail exactly one week after posting to say they had received it.

Now the hard work starts. Got to get everything together to start the application for STNI for Victoria. It is going to be a race with my brother to see who gets down under first! He should hopefully have an interview for a job in Melbourne next week!

We are really starting to get excited now - things are starting to happen!
Old May 27th 2007, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good luck

I would suggest you send off for approval to the victoria institute of teaching (VIT) now as this will cause delays with victoria issuing your sponsorship for stni (they won't sponsor you without it) ....takes about four weeks to come through.
Old May 28th 2007, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the tip. We will get on with that right away then. There is sooooo much to do now but i guess that VIT would be a good start. One step at a time.

Do you have a target date for yourself? We are hoping to have everything sorted to go down under at the end of the next school year (our school year - july 2008).
Old May 28th 2007, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

I would still do the online application for STNI as it takes a while for them to get round to looking at it....decision is 8 weeks from receipt, in which time you should have your VIT and they will accept emailed documents.

I gave in my notice this week to leave school in the summer. I would really like to get out before Jan 2008 as that is the start of the OZ school year....guess I will just have to keep my fingers crossed; gonna do supply in the meantime
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Folks,

At the very start of the process - DT and ICT Secondary - looking for SNI to Vic.

Have NZ teacher reg long story) so reciprocal arrangment with VIT will shorten that step but any feedback re the teching skills assessment and any success with the STNI assessment would be good.

Only further hope for us would be another state or SIR.

Bezza

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.