Swimming Teacher

Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:25 am
Just Joined

usthree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swimming Teacher

Hello - I'm a swimming teacher and wondered about job opportunities in Canada? Any help would be great. Thanks
Old Oct 13th 2005, 3:28 am
Remya

Default Re: Swimming Teacher

Hi usthree,

Are you serious?!

I'll naively (and nicely) assume that you aren't a troll. Take a look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/assess/index.html . If you have a degree you might stand a chance, if you're prepared to wait the 3+ years it's currently taking to get skilled worker PR. But it's not like we have a shortage of swimming teachers here...!

Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:09 am
Just Joined

usthree is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Remya

I'm quite mistified about your comment. Do you mean there are loads of jobs or are you telling me there are none? No i'm not a troll - well i hope not! But as this is my profession, i need to know before i start the paperwork that there will be a job at the end of it all. Thanks
I read somewhere that this person had a 3 year temp workers permit to go to Canada - how does this work and do you need a job offer to use this type of visa?
Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:20 am
Remya

Sorry. I was mystified by your comment too as I don't know much about being a swimming teacher and haven't ever heard of anyone coming across to be one. Doesn't mean to say it's not possible, though. If you don't have a degree it might be hard to get the required number of points (although you don't have to have a degree and experience in what you want to do over here eventually, you just have to have one). If you do have one and meet the points requirement, the best thing to do would be to get in touch with a few recreation/fitness centres in various provinces and ask them the specifics e.g. salary/wage, qualifications required and so on. You can get a temporary permit if you have a job offer from a Canadian employer once they have proved that they cannot possibly hire a Canadian to fill the job first. So if you have any relevant and unique skills, that might help, but it's pretty hard to get it, so I'm told. If you come across without a job offer (but with skilled worker PR) it's highly unlikely you'll be able to find a job as you won't have a Canadian diploma (could always change that...) nor 'Canadian experience'. It's the ol' catch 22.

You could try posting in the 'Canada' forum as it gets more views and people will probably know people who are swimming instructors. Networking is the first principle in getting a job in Canada!...