Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Starting as an NQT in Australia

Starting as an NQT in Australia

Old Jan 19th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting as an NQT in Australia

Originally Posted by Nahatalie
I'm looking at WA, I quite fancy Perth. I've never been to Australia, it's too expensive for me to just go there for a holiday just to check it out. I moved to Japan without having ever been outside Europe before so I'm very adaptable and love the challenges moving to a new country throws at you. At least with Aus there won't be a language barrier.

Basically, I want to move asap. Ideally I would like to go there as an NQT. (I am not one yet, I am still doing my PGCE) Is it true that as long I don't start my NQT year in the UK and quit, I can do it at any point if I decide to come back to the UK after a few years? I know if I stay in England I have to complete the NQT year within 5 years, but I read on here if you move to aus without doing the NQT year you can do it after any amount of time if you decide to come back.

So, with a WHV how unlikely is it for me to get a teaching post (not supply), and I've got to stay in each school for 6 months max right? If there is next to no chance of this happening then I guess I am forced to live another year in miserable England and do my NQT year. Is it technically possible to get 6 months teaching post in a school then another, in order to a) abide by the "you can only work for a company for 6 months max on a WHV" rule and b) get the 12 months experience I need to apply for a WSV. Bascially, is this technically possible? Even if it is possible, is it something that is highly unlikely? I really want to move asap!

Thanks for all the help guys
Personally I think you'll struggle to get a post, both in UK & Aus. Teaching jobs are hard to obtain in both countries, unless you want to love where no one else does. No one is forcing you to stay in UK why not go off to 3rd world country and see what hardship is like and do some charity work, then when more enlightened and gaining greater life experience, in addition to something positive to go on your CV you can assess what direction you wish to go in.
Do love posts on being forced to live in uk and how rubbish it is and how much better Aus is from someone who's never set foot in the place

Are posters on here who where exactly the same and ended up coming home for various reasons. Why not pop off into Europe somewhere and stop taking tax payers money to fund your escape route! :curse: