Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Starting new Teaching post in Dubai, September 2015. Need Expat teacher advice!

Starting new Teaching post in Dubai, September 2015. Need Expat teacher advice!

Old Jan 10th 2015, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

MrMM is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Starting new Teaching post in Dubai, September 2015. Need Expat teacher advice!

I am looking for any current expats who are teaching in Dubai or UAE to help answer a couple of questions which would be massively helpful.

1. Im currently in my fifth year of teaching in the UK (M5). Is it true that I should continue to pay my General Teaching Coucil of Wales / England contributions to protect me in case I wish to return to teaching in the UK?

2. My school provides 20% PPA time for teachers. However, for someone with a leadership position, such as Head of Performing Arts, is it likely that I would receive more than 20% PPA time? I understand that schools may differ in this, but a general comment would be helpful.

3. Realistically, how difficult is it to return to teaching in the UK in several years time? Ideally, I am not necessarily planning to return, but if the move isn't as successful as I'd like, is it possible? I've always wondered this given that International schools recruit in a totally different manner - I have never heard of any UK Schools hiring for a Head of Department job over skype as there are usually lesson observations and other aspects involved.

Cheers for any advice,
Matthew