Ssa's

Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice
Default Ssa's

Hi There,
Is there anyone who is an SSA going to Canada and hoping to do the same type of work when they arrive? If so would like to hear from you.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ssa's

Originally Posted by wensamjam
Hi There,
Is there anyone who is an SSA going to Canada and hoping to do the same type of work when they arrive? If so would like to hear from you.
Hi Wendy,
I am an SSA too. AKA a Teaching Assistant, Educational Assistant etc. Lol.
I work in a local primary school, mainly with children with Speech and Language Difficulties.
I hope, once settled, to do a similar job. Do you know if you will have to convert your qualifications?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Teen.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Originally Posted by Woodstock62
Hi Wendy,
I am an SSA too. AKA a Teaching Assistant, Educational Assistant etc. Lol.
I work in a local primary school, mainly with children with Speech and Language Difficulties.
I hope, once settled, to do a similar job. Do you know if you will have to convert your qualifications?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Teen.
Hi Teen,
I was told by Halifax school board that I would be able to start work after I have had an interview with them. I have already sent my resume to them and they seemed ok with it. So am hoping NOT to have to do any exams, but I am thinking of doing few courses to get a bit more familiar with the school system in Canada.
I have been SSA for 8 years, did 2 years at college (part-time) Diploma in pre-playschool, also done lots of other part-time courses in special needs.
Where in Canada are you hoping to go? There seems to be a call for Education Programme Assistants(as they say) All depends on experience and course work you have done really. If you have an NVQ I don't think they recognise them, so would have to re sit them. Good luck with work.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Teen,
I was told by Halifax school board that I would be able to start work after I have had an interview with them. I have already sent my resume to them and they seemed ok with it. So am hoping NOT to have to do any exams, but I am thinking of doing few courses to get a bit more familiar with the school system in Canada.
I have been SSA for 8 years, did 2 years at college (part-time) Diploma in pre-playschool, also done lots of other part-time courses in special needs.
Where in Canada are you hoping to go? There seems to be a call for Education Programme Assistants(as they say) All depends on experience and course work you have done really. If you have an NVQ I don't think they recognise them, so would have to re sit them. Good luck with work.

Hi Wendy,
Thanks for the quick reply.
We are hoping to go to Calgary but are in for a long wait. Our AOR is Jan 05

I have my NNEB, taken many moons ago, lol. I have been working in schools since '91 and prior to that I worked in a Day Nursery type place and as a Nanny. I've done quite a few courses while working for this authority and will be starting one next week about SpLD so that should be interesting.

You said you were going to do a few courses to familiarize yourself with the Canadian system, are you going to do them from here or when you get there? I was wondering if it would be worth doing that but am unsure what to do.

Am I right in remembering that you are principal applicant? I wasn't aware that this job was on the NOC list. I must have missed it. My hubby is our PA.

Anyway, hope all goes well for you, I will be watching out for your posts!

Take Care,
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woodstock62
Hi Wendy,
Thanks for the quick reply.
We are hoping to go to Calgary but are in for a long wait. Our AOR is Jan 05

I have my NNEB, taken many moons ago, lol. I have been working in schools since '91 and prior to that I worked in a Day Nursery type place and as a Nanny. I've done quite a few courses while working for this authority and will be starting one next week about SpLD so that should be interesting.

You said you were going to do a few courses to familiarize yourself with the Canadian system, are you going to do them from here or when you get there? I was wondering if it would be worth doing that but am unsure what to do.

Am I right in remembering that you are principal applicant? I wasn't aware that this job was on the NOC list. I must have missed it. My hubby is our PA.

Anyway, hope all goes well for you, I will be watching out for your posts!

Take Care,

Hi Teen,
I was also a nanny for 11 years, one year in Calgary, most others in London, few in norhtwest Uk where I have lived for last 13 years. I aslo worked in a nursery for a year and have sent my resume to few nurseries in Halifax. Only one reply and they were intersted in me when I arrive. I know you can do long distance learning, there was a thread on forum while ago gave some address for distance learning. I will do them when I arrive. Where in Calgary are you going? I used to live in Kensington area, where the family i nannyed for lived. I still keep in contact with them, went over in 99 to see them. The NOC number is 4214 for education programme assistant. But there is another number for special needs educator. They put me down as a early childhood educator, which I'm sure you would be. Where in Uk are you? Talk soon.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Teen,
I was also a nanny for 11 years, one year in Calgary, most others in London, few in norhtwest Uk where I have lived for last 13 years. I aslo worked in a nursery for a year and have sent my resume to few nurseries in Halifax. Only one reply and they were intersted in me when I arrive. I know you can do long distance learning, there was a thread on forum while ago gave some address for distance learning. I will do them when I arrive. Where in Calgary are you going? I used to live in Kensington area, where the family i nannyed for lived. I still keep in contact with them, went over in 99 to see them. The NOC number is 4214 for education programme assistant. But there is another number for special needs educator. They put me down as a early childhood educator, which I'm sure you would be. Where in Uk are you? Talk soon.
Hi Wendy,
Wow, quite a few things in common!
We're not too sure yet where exactly we will settle. We are looking at the SE of Calgary or Okotoks. We will try and decide on our next trip.
You'll have to let me know which courses you end up doing. I had a quick look at the links that were posted but to be honest, I wouldn't know which would be the best to do. As it is expensive I would want to make sure I was doing something worthwhile.
I think I will voluteer initially. That way I will get some of that elusive Canadian experience and also get a feel of how things work in their schools. I definately want to stay in Elementary schools. That's how I got started where I work now, 9 years later, almost, I'm still there!

We live just a little north of Manchester at the moment. Not too bad really, a few minutes one way we are in the city centre and a few the other we are in the hills. No comparison to the Rockies though
What made you choose Nova Scotia? Sorry if you have to repeat yourself

Talk to you soon.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Teen,

I am not sure what course I will go on, but I would like to Know more about autism. We chose NS mainly because it is not a busy place, has lakes, forrests and the sea on your doorstep, is alot safer for my 4 year old son to grow up in, has alot of space, and very friendly people, the houses are alot cheaper, lots of good community feel everywhere. Also my sister lives there. So will have family close by. We did think about Calgary as I loved it there. But it's a bit to busy for me now. Although i think if i could afford it Canmore (where my sister lived for nearly 15 years) is where I would settle, but now very touristy and expensive. A reason my sister and her canadian hubby went to NS, where his family are.
There is a EPA course you can do for a year, but it would be the same as what you have done NNEB. Options for me are in schools, in playgroups, daycares, nurseries or childmind. So open minded at the moment.
We live in Burnley, where abouts are you? Why did you chose Calgary? Talk soon.
Old May 14th 2005, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

ClosedAccount-xyz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!
I work as an LSA in an autistic school, and at the moment i am doing my nvq 3.
I also want to do this when we eventually go to Canada, not sure yet which province we'll live in, as trying to get husband a job offer first.
jeanette
Old May 15th 2005, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeanetteuk1
Hi!
I work as an LSA in an autistic school, and at the moment i am doing my nvq 3.
I also want to do this when we eventually go to Canada, not sure yet which province we'll live in, as trying to get husband a job offer first.
jeanette
Hi Jeanettuk,
I'm not sure that they recognise NVQ'S in Canada, you may have to sit exams or do courses, but don't quote me on that. Good luck with where you decide. We are off to NS in about 4 weeks time, Finally.
Old May 15th 2005, 10:21 am
Account Closed

ClosedAccount-xyz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jeanettuk,
I'm not sure that they recognise NVQ'S in Canada, you may have to sit exams or do courses, but don't quote me on that. Good luck with where you decide. We are off to NS in about 4 weeks time, Finally.
hi!
I'll look into whether they recognise NVQ'S
good luck with your move and all the best in your new life!
jeanette
Old May 16th 2005, 6:50 am
Just Joined

raza is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I have been regularly reading your mails on the topic of teaching in Canada. I am also interested in teaching in Canada. At the moment we are in the Gulf teaching EFL in a university. I did my MEd from the Sheffield Uni. We are in the final stage of our Canadian immigration process (medicals done and now waiting for PPR). I am a bit confused if I can apply for teacher registration with OCT (in Ontario) before getting PR card or after. Any info on that?
Would it be smooth with OCT? I also have a Montessori certificate.

raza

Originally Posted by Jeanetteuk1
hi!
I'll look into whether they recognise NVQ'S
good luck with your move and all the best in your new life!
jeanette
Old May 18th 2005, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

jon254 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Raza

You must either have PR or a confirmed job offer before OCT will process your application. However, you can get your academic tanscripts sent prior to your submission, helps prevent delays.

If you're teaching EFL in independent sector, or in Montessori school OCT registration is not always required.

Plenty of posts further down this forum with links.

Hope it helps

Jon