Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship in WA if you're already here!

Sponsorship in WA if you're already here!

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:16 am
missapps

missapps will become famous soon enough
Default Sponsorship in WA if you're already here!

Hi guys, as always im stuck with the details regarding sponsorship and visa regulations so have come here for help-AGAIN!

Right well although im eligible for the skilled worker 176 visa and could apply ASAP (when i have the money) I am currently on a Working hol visa and teaching in rural Kalgoorlie in middle of desert- WA. I have done 2 days of relief in the local school which is a public school, and have already been offered sponsorship!! WOOO- or so i thought...

Apparently according to Sue Carpenter- who to be fair knows exactly what she is talking about!!! has said that the only way you can get sponsored in WA at least is by a private school, because the DET is no longer doing the 457 scheme alot of us applied for back in the day and then we all received that dreaded email declining because it's been cancelled!!!

Well now i have a school and principal who will do anything to keep me but because of this scheme it cant be done???
Anyone have any further ideas/information to shed light on my sad day??!!!

WS and Hereshopping you know me guys- how bad is this!!!!
I cant believe dream is in my hand but not!!!
My only other option is go home in October when my WHV runs out and apply then and wait for a god damn year while it comes through and then i suppose i can teach anywhere!! AHHHHH

please help me out people!!!
Laura
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:44 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship in WA if you're already here!

Hi Laura,

If you're eligible now, could you not put in your application for a 176 now? You can apply whilst you are in Australia and just leave the country for a few days when the visa is granted?

If the Department of Education isn't currently sponsoring 457 visas then you really don't have many choices
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

lekkilizard is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Laura

We arrived in WA in Jan 09 on 457 Visa.

A few have arrived in July on a regional 857/119 Visa.

Some are arriving in Jan 2010 on that visa as well as they had already been offered a sponsorship.

DET have wound down their Overseas Recruitment Team due to the economic down turn. When things are more stable they will open the scheme again however, realistically there is no longer a shortage of Teachers in WA despite what media and individuals claim.

A recent pay increase and another in October has meant that those wishing to retire have decided to stay on for a few more years. The Mining industry along with others have taken a hit and many teachers have come back into the profession as jobs in other industries have disappeared.

We have a half Cohort year decending on us so schools are being affected by that and many will have surplus staff who will need to be allocated jobs.

Any public school in WA has to request through the DET teaching staff and areas of shortage. There are processes here that need to be adhered to whether or not the principal recommends you seek a sponsorship. Private Sector may be a different story.

We have no choice with the area or school we get. You can end up teaching outside of your subject area and age range. Exceptional circumstances arise but they have been few in terms of relocation. Coming on the scheme means that you are signing to go anywhere and for 3 years. That's the deal, take it or leave it. Visas have been cancelled before now ! We have found DET WA good employers. No one can say that they did not know the score as DET are very clear and very fair.

Some others may not agree but our experience has been outstanding from the start. Yes there have been hiccups with OH's finding and securing employment difficult initially. There have been a few and I mean a few issues with housing but those issues occur for other companies too not just DET WA. In some areas housing is hard to come by, expensive and the competition extensive. It is not unheard of for bidding wars to start and escalate. Many houses on the resale market use GEHA/GROH as an incentive to buy as rental income is secured before purchase.

You mention Sue Carpenter. A consumate professional with a wealth of knowlegde and understanding of the whole process. She is the person in the know to say the least !

Others unable to utilise the WA scheme have looked to other states. Perhaps that is an option open to you ?

I am sorry that the post may not be what you want and I wish you well for the future.

Regards

N x
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree if Sue Carpenter says they are not sponsoring at the moment.
There is nothing more you can do.

If they offered you sponsorship, they would get a flood of complaints. If they let one in they would have to let more in. DET get daily offers from overseas teachers so they have to be seen as fair.

Sorry its not the news you want and its seams barmy when you have a school that wants you.

Gems
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Laura have sent you a pm.

Gems
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:12 pm
missapps

missapps will become famous soon enough

Thank you for your replies everybody!! And WS you are right as always!! I can apply onshore for the 176 and then have to leave the country when the C/O clears you for medical and police checks, but i dont have the spare $2200 and was waiting to try my luck with sponsorship first too especially as I was aware that i was going to teach in a regional/rural area like Kalgoorlie- therefore was prehaps too optomistic!!! You cannot get a bridging visa for 175/176 visa's either so when my WHV runs out October 31st 2009, I can no longer work (no chance of me working fruit picking to get 2nd visa!!) and so i have to stay at home-UK waiting a year at least so i'll do it once I've exhausted all possibilities of sponsorship here. I'm gonna phone up independent/private schools too, the catholic ones and see if they are interested!! Thanks though x

Well having lived working in Oz for 8 months and now feel like more of an Aussie than a brit, i'll get there somehow!! Havent stomached vegemite yet though!!! ...
Laura

Last edited by missapps; Jul 22nd 2009 at 1:19 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:37 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck contacting private schools