Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Some Advice please friends

Some Advice please friends

Old Jul 20th 2009, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

robmartin337 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Some Advice please friends

Dear All,

Please could you tell me what my prospects would be if I were to apply for a migrant skills based visa as a secondary school teacher and whether my 2years as an ESL teacher in Thailand/Korea (both secondary schools). counts for the points test.

I have the following qualifications:
LLB (Hons)Law degree;
BA (Hons) Modern Language Studies: Spanish and French
M.Ed Education (Applied Linguistics)
CELTA
DELTA

I am deciding if I should goback to the UK to get a PGCE in Secondary MFL or Post-16 OR go to Oz and complete a Dip Education (Secondary)?

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks x
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Some Advice please friends

Originally Posted by robmartin337

Dear All,

Please could you tell me what my prospects would be if I were to apply for a migrant skills based visa as a secondary school teacher and whether my 2years as an ESL teacher in Thailand/Korea (both secondary schools). counts for the points test.

I have the following qualifications:
LLB (Hons)Law degree;
BA (Hons) Modern Language Studies: Spanish and French
M.Ed Education (Applied Linguistics)
CELTA
DELTA

I am deciding if I should goback to the UK to get a PGCE in Secondary MFL or Post-16 OR go to Oz and complete a Dip Education (Secondary)?

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks x
Pretty sure ESL won't count as experience, and you certainly need a teacher training degree such as a PGCE or a DipEd or BEd
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hereshoping
Pretty sure ESL won't count as experience, and you certainly need a teacher training degree such as a PGCE or a DipEd or BEd
I would check about the M Ed actually....it might count, I know for a fact teh DELTA and CELTA do NOT count because I have them myself and they prefer a postgraduate CELTA at a UNI which is a year...they wouldn't even let me teach it or rather say I was qualified, once you are in the school 'can' technically give you that role anyway!!!

A bit confusing and I wish you luck!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by plantpot
I would check about the M Ed actually....it might count, I know for a fact teh DELTA and CELTA do NOT count because I have them myself and they prefer a postgraduate CELTA at a UNI which is a year...they wouldn't even let me teach it or rather say I was qualified, once you are in the school 'can' technically give you that role anyway!!!

A bit confusing and I wish you luck!!!
No I know for a fact a MEd won't count as it contains no teaching practice.

Some people have I believe managed to persuade them to accept a GTP plus an MEd but neither alone.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hereshoping
No I know for a fact a MEd won't count as it contains no teaching practice.

Some people have I believe managed to persuade them to accept a GTP plus an MEd but neither alone.
Aww shame...there you go then...there's yer answer