Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Skills assessment?!! ... Right, I'm making a start!!!

Skills assessment?!! ... Right, I'm making a start!!!

Old Apr 6th 2009, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Bev_n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skills assessment?!! ... Right, I'm making a start!!!

Hi there.

I'm going to be starting the whole emigration process as soon as because I've heared from all of the posts on here that it will take a very very long time so I think I should start nowish! I've started gathering some documents (even bought a folder )

I'm a primary teacher, been doing supply for a year after I qualified but hoping to get my induction year started in sept if im lucky!

so... I need to get my skilled assessment first right? and this gets done on the teach australia website?

Questions..

1. what does it cost?
2. what documents will I need?
3. who can verify my documents?
4. How long will it take?

So is it just a case of filling in a form, posting it off with all the relevant verified documents and then waiting for a letter back saying that im "skilled"?

And then is it that letter that needs to go in your visa application to prove you're skilled?

Do you download the form, fill it in and post it or is it an online thingy? if it is online, what about the documents that need sending?

Sorry bout all the questions, I just want to be sure I know what I'm doing before I get started

Thanks to anyone that can help!! xx

Bev
Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Skills assessment?!! ... Right, I'm making a start!!!

oh one more question!

Once it comes back as "skilled" is there a time limit for when you have to apply for your visa or does it not expire?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

janmal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bev_n
Hi there.

I'm going to be starting the whole emigration process as soon as because I've heared from all of the posts on here that it will take a very very long time so I think I should start nowish! I've started gathering some documents (even bought a folder )

I'm a primary teacher, been doing supply for a year after I qualified but hoping to get my induction year started in sept if im lucky!

so... I need to get my skilled assessment first right? and this gets done on the teach australia website?

Questions..

1. what does it cost?

So is it just a case of filling in a form, posting it off with all the relevant verified documents and then waiting for a letter back saying that im "skilled"?

And then is it that letter that needs to go in your visa application to prove you're skilled?

Do you download the form, fill it in and post it or is it an online thingy? if it is online, what about the documents that need sending?

Sorry bout all the questions, I just want to be sure I know what I'm doing before I get started

Bev
hi bev

go to teaching australia website to see if you fill their criteria for a positive skills assessment, think this needs to be your first port of call before you need answers to all the other questions.

regards janmal
Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Done that! and yes I do!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bev_n
Hi there.

Questions..

1. what does it cost?

Bev
1. approx £900 depends on pound v dollar
2.degree transcript, references proof of work
3.jp,doctors, solicitors,etc
4.approx 8 weeks for skills assessment
5.assessment is valid for 2 years
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:13 am
missapps

missapps will become famous soon enough

HI Janmal- where did you get the info from that says the skills assessment is only valid for 2 years?? i checked with migration agent and it doesnt run out he said?? oh bugger now im worried- i did mine 2 years ago and applying in august??
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

blackjack041 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by janmal
1. approx £900 depends on pound v dollar
2.degree transcript, references proof of work
3.jp,doctors, solicitors,etc
4.approx 8 weeks for skills assessment
5.assessment is valid for 2 years
Hey janmal, not sure where you got the figure £900 from? Teaching Oz charge $450 then the nominal state charges for reg but no where near equates to £900. Verification of documents will cost £60 max.

Bev_n, having a teaching australia certificate will help speed up the registration process with the state teaching council. It is not always necessary to have in order to obtain a job as that is down to the discretion of the school (if independant) or the state DET. However you will find that schools maybe reluctant to employ you if you do not have state registration (preliminary or full). And they do expect you to post all relevant documentation to them.

Depending on the visa you are going for, do your homework first. There are number of posts on here are suggesting that immigration are no longer processing 457's but that is only with the WA DET (possibly other states as well but I am unsure as I live in WA). There are plenty of teaching agencies over here that will assist you in finding a suitable position, it just may take some time.

You may also find that you can process your assessments (with teach oz and the state teaching council) at the same time. The state teaching council (e.g. WACOT) does not require a 'teaching australia certificate' in order for you to become registered. You may ask why go through TA to be assessed - may help with visa hey?! If you have a 4 year teaching degree or 3 year plus PGCE then you should have no problem at all...

All the best in taking your first steps to Oz!

Blackjack041
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by blackjack041
Hey janmal, not sure where you got the figure £900 from? Teaching Oz charge $450 then the nominal state charges for reg but no where near equates to £900. Verification of documents will cost £60 max.

Bev_n, having a teaching australia certificate will help speed up the registration process with the state teaching council. It is not always necessary to have in order to obtain a job as that is down to the discretion of the school (if independant) or the state DET. However you will find that schools maybe reluctant to employ you if you do not have state registration (preliminary or full). And they do expect you to post all relevant documentation to them.

Depending on the visa you are going for, do your homework first. There are number of posts on here are suggesting that immigration are no longer processing 457's but that is only with the WA DET (possibly other states as well but I am unsure as I live in WA). There are plenty of teaching agencies over here that will assist you in finding a suitable position, it just may take some time.

You may also find that you can process your assessments (with teach oz and the state teaching council) at the same time. The state teaching council (e.g. WACOT) does not require a 'teaching australia certificate' in order for you to become registered. You may ask why go through TA to be assessed - may help with visa hey?! If you have a 4 year teaching degree or 3 year plus PGCE then you should have no problem at all...

All the best in taking your first steps to Oz!

Blackjack041
sorry i mean £900 for the 176 visa, the skill assessment was about £250 i think it was a while ago.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missapps
HI Janmal- where did you get the info from that says the skills assessment is only valid for 2 years?? i checked with migration agent and it doesnt run out he said?? oh bugger now im worried- i did mine 2 years ago and applying in august??
i says on my certificate , this certificate is valid for 2 years from date of issue.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by missapps
Ah but if you did it 2 years ago it is a NOOSR assessment not a Teaching Australia one right? The old style NOOSR ones don't have an expiry date on them.

Blackjack- as far as I know all schools require registration with the state body. They may employ people while they are awaiting their registration being approved but then give them a set time in which they must obtain registration (provisional or full)

You must have a skills assessment before you apply for a skilled visa- not necessary for a temporary visa- if you apply for a skilled visa without this it will be automatically refused.

If you are going for a skilled visa you're best to leave state registration until you're visa is granted as the visa can take a very long time to be granted and you will be paying unnecessary registration fees each year if you register too early. As far as I know none of the states as for a Teaching Australia assessment for you to register with them- it is only needed for visa purposes.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

blackjack041 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by janmal
sorry i mean £900 for the 176 visa, the skill assessment was about £250 i think it was a while ago.

No worries, yeah thought it was alot... lol