Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Sick leave transferrable? Teacher Rego from one state to another...

Sick leave transferrable? Teacher Rego from one state to another...

Old May 2nd 2012, 9:55 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sick leave transferrable? Teacher Rego from one state to another...

So today I found out that the 2 weeks worth (ok so it's not much, but it's not bad for a 'contract' teacher) of sick leave that I've earned in the last year or so, are not transferrable when we are due to move at the end of this year, to another state! LIKE OMG!? How can that be right?! I'm moving within the same country, so surely that's just plain wrong! ARGHHHH LOL

Anyone else had experience of this?

Also, how hard is it to transfer my teacher rego from Qld to say....the NT?
Old May 2nd 2012, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

poppyandpeanut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sick leave transferrable? Teacher Rego from one state to another...

2 weeks worth of pulling sickies?
Old May 3rd 2012, 12:15 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppyandpeanut
2 weeks worth of pulling sickies?
It can be used as family leave too, and we're Defence so I'm not sure when they'll be moving us, so I might have to!
Old May 15th 2012, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Education Departments in each state of Australia are individual employers. If you left the employment of one company and moved to another, you wouldnt expect your sick leave to be transferable, so why would you expect it to be with State Government Departments?
Old May 15th 2012, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and you can't transfer your teacher registration from state to state. You have to register individually with each Teachers Registration Body in each state.
Old May 15th 2012, 11:00 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Transferring teacher rego is not too hard depending on where you are going. I transferred my Qld rego to the NT in record time last year - I think it took about a week for my NT reg to come through There are reciprocal agreements between Qld and most states/territories (although poss not NSW or ACT?) and NZ. Their websites will have more info

Re: sick leave - I have a vague memory of getting paid my accrued sick leave on leaving teaching jobs in the past - but this may have been in the private system? I know in my current job (in local government) they all went hysterical when I told them I'd been paid accrued sick leave when I left a job so it's not the norm...

Are you heading to Darwin?? I worked at the Lutheran College up there last year. They are always looking for staff...
Old Jun 7th 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

NSW and ACT are not included as the system is not "compulsory" so is not recognised by others - but QLD is easy - I was registered in WA and NT very easily as you fill in the form with your QLD registration number.

Sick leave is not transferable - but you should get it paid out upon your resignation in G'ment or Systemic Catholic Schools (don't know about Independents). Long Service Leave however can often be transferred - I know it can in the Catholic system as I moved LSL from WA to NT to NSW among different dioceses - but don't know about Gment - maybe not.

The problem is that by order of the Aust constitution each individual state is responsible for Education - there is only a national curriculum because the Federal Gment said they would not give Education funding to the states if they didn't come to the party and get one organised!!!

Pretty transient population in Darwin - so usually not too hard to pick up a teaching job up there.