Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

securing teaching jobs before emmigrating?

securing teaching jobs before emmigrating?

Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

tynajon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default securing teaching jobs before emmigrating?

Is there anyone out there who is/has emmigrated to Oz & secured a teaching post BEFORE you arrived? If so, how did you go about it. How realistic is it for a school to be interested in considering an application from a teacher who is still in the UK?
kind regards
tyna
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: securing teaching jobs before emmigrating?

Only way I can think of is via sponsorship. eg WA are currentlys sponsoring high school teachers on 457 visa.
This is temp visa and job is organised for your arrival, also housing but in rural areas. Once you have worked 2 years they do your permanent visa.

Other states do permanent sponsorships but you need to find the job when you arrive.

GEMS
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:32 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

If you had enough points etc to be eligible to work in Australia you might be able to secure a job before arrival via teacher recruitment agencies, such as Smart Teachers (although so far they've been hopeless for me and I'm Australian/in Australia). Hays, Global, Select and Protocol are some of the larger teaching agencies who seem to be recruiting for Australian schools these days instead of just for the UK. No harm in just talking to them...

I'm not sure I would be too stressed about getting a job before you leave -most people on here seem to find something eventually, and if you were tied into a job before you left and it turned out to be pants it might be worse than being unemployed for a little while at the start! At least while you're not reliant on the job for your work visa, why not just wing it and find something nice? Are you allowed to do other work while you wait? There always seem to be jobs for childcare and teaching assistants and in different places there is quite a demand for casual supply.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

tynajon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your views. I am in no rush to find a job before I leave, I would just be nice in an ideal world. I will look into the recruitment sites recommended, cheers.
kind regards
tyna
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:34 am
Just Joined

steved is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, it is possible - I am one of the lucky ones who did this. I uploaded my CV to www.independentschools.com.au and the Victorian state website also. I also banged off a few applications to see what would happen.

I reckon you are unlikely to have much joy with state schools before you arrive, but you might have more luck in the private sector. If you are ok with it, then the best bet is with a high achieving Anglican private school, e.g. Melbourne Grammar, Geelong Grammar, Mentone Grammar, etc, as they like to employ teachers from the UK. The training is seen to be good + you should have learnt the art of good discipline and classroom control (I say should!)

Good luck...

Steve.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tynajon
Is there anyone out there who is/has emmigrated to Oz & secured a teaching post BEFORE you arrived? If so, how did you go about it. How realistic is it for a school to be interested in considering an application from a teacher who is still in the UK?
kind regards
tyna
It can be done - I managed it. But like many things, it can be a case of right place at the right time (as it was for me).

My view is that state schools won't even bother unless you are on a sponsored visa. Private schools will look at you if they have a vacancy at that time. I received two offers of employment - one in Perth and one in Brisbane (both from excellent private schools) whilst I was still in the UK.

My experience of the Australian private school system here is that UK trained teachers are highly valued BUT you have to show someting on your cv which makes it stand out from the crowd.

Good luck.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tynajon
kind regards
tyna
hi there

I applied for quite a few jobs before i left the uk and a number did take up my references and I did eventually land a job (long story as to why i did not stick it)

You do need to be registered in the state you wish to live and in SA I had to do first aid and Mandatory Notice course.

So it is possible to get a job pre move. Good luck
Old Jan 19th 2008, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lollyno1
hi there

I applied for quite a few jobs before i left the uk and a number did take up my references and I did eventually land a job (long story as to why i did not stick it)

You do need to be registered in the state you wish to live and in SA I had to do first aid and Mandatory Notice course.

So it is possible to get a job pre move. Good luck
Have to say a note of caution, as you didn't like the job you ended up with. Better to wait and see what's in store before putting your eggs in one basket
Hope you're settling back into your old life in UK
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Have to say a note of caution, as you didn't like the job you ended up with. Better to wait and see what's in store before putting your eggs in one basket
Hope you're settling back into your old life in UK
I agree with you regarding caution, its wasnt so much the job in the end that done me in but the bloody principal..! anyway thats all done and dusted.

Yep back settled in the uk for the next two years anyway till my son finishes college and decides what he wants to do. Ive bought a lovely house, on a small estate ex council but im happier now than have been for years. Still no permanent job but ive been kept going with long term supply, fingers crossed that it continues.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:42 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steved
I uploaded my CV to www.independentschools.com.au
I've just had a nose at that website and there is ZERO jobs on it of any type, any where. Is that common of ths website, or independent schools generally?

You mentioned that you uploaded you CV to several places. Which resulted in you getting your job?

Cheers,
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate
I've just had a nose at that website and there is ZERO jobs on it of any type, any where. Is that common of ths website, or independent schools generally?

You mentioned that you uploaded you CV to several places. Which resulted in you getting your job?

Cheers,
I go on that website quite a bit and have found that it really only gets used by VIC schools.