Secondary school teacher

Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all
Default Secondary school teacher

Hi
Can anybody give me an insight into teaching at secondary school level. (year 7 to year 11 - 11 to 16 year olds (for those who are still thinking in terms of first years to fifth years!) Were hoping to settle in or near the Toronto area. I teach food technology and child development and wondered how the subjects and curriculum differ over there. I'd also be grateful for some info on salaries. Is there a system they use like our main scale or points system?
Appreciate any info
Old Apr 20th 2005, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

jon254 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Secondary school teacher

Hi Patsy.

For technology teachers the two systems are quite distinct. In Canada you apply either as a general studies teacher (Thoses effectively with academic qualifications) in this instance you would be looking at family studies. Alternatively if you have a vocational background you would apply as a technology teacher, here you would teach Hospitallity technology (from what I understand).

I would recommend you visit the normal ports of call the college of teachers (www.oct.ca). The education Department for Ontario has all the info on Curriculum thats www.edu.on.ca.

Finally wages range between provinces but you will lok at around $35,000 rising to around $75,000 over 10 years extras for additional qualifications and teachable subjects. Goto the secondary schools teachers federation (www.osstf.org.ca) and search for wage info, it's in the hand book.

Have fun with all the reading, it's all there, it's understanding half of it thats the problem.

Best wishes

Jon
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry that should be the secondary schools teachers federation (www.osstf.ca) and search for wage info, it's in the hand book.

Hope it helps

Jon

Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Must check links before I write them down. Ontario education is www.edu.gov.on.ca Now you shoudl find something!

Sorry about that. A*se and Elbow speing to mind.

Best wishes

Jon
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jon254
Must check links before I write them down. Ontario education is www.edu.gov.on.ca Now you shoudl find something!

Sorry about that. A*se and Elbow speing to mind.

Best wishes

Jon
lol...was struggling a little bit.......thanks for your help