British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   Relief teaching in Melbourne (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/relief-teaching-melbourne-679442/)

ollydt Aug 2nd 2010 6:17 pm

Relief teaching in Melbourne

Hi guys,

We move in 22 days and figured we should probably think about working.

Anyone recommend a good relief teaching agency? When I say good I mean get you regular work, pay well and competently ran.

We are going to be living in Melbourne, Williamstown area. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Olly

Jen1977ni Aug 3rd 2010 9:04 pm

Re: Relief teaching in Melbourne

Originally Posted by ollydt (Post 8747417)
Hi guys,

We move in 22 days and figured we should probably think about working.

Anyone recommend a good relief teaching agency? When I say good I mean get you regular work, pay well and competently ran.

We are going to be living in Melbourne, Williamstown area. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Olly

I would advise you to do what I did, if you already have your registration in place. I drove around nearly 50 schools with my CV, introducing myself and saying that I was available for any kind of teaching, long/short-term, just to gain experience of the Aussie education system. I finally got my rego at the end of May and am onto my second contract, this one being for at least the next month, if not til the end of term, my phone hasn't stopped in all honesty.

Have you got your VIT rego through yet?

ollydt Aug 3rd 2010 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8750600)
I would advise you to do what I did, if you already have your registration in place. I drove around nearly 50 schools with my CV, introducing myself and saying that I was available for any kind of teaching, long/short-term, just to gain experience of the Aussie education system. I finally got my rego at the end of May and am onto my second contract, this one being for at least the next month, if not til the end of term, my phone hasn't stopped in all honesty.

Have you got your VIT rego through yet?

Hi, sounds like good advice like anything put the effort in and you will get things.

Got my registration through the other day and just heard from ANZUK a relief teaching agency. If you don't mind me asking they reckon the hardest working and most flexible get about $850 p/w (net), do you on average get more than that?

Are you enjoying doing short term contracts and is their much stress around it? We were worried how landlords might see it if there is no fixed long term contract to guarantee rent etc. We are really excited about trying a new school system now. Three weeks to take off, mental!

Cheers

Olly

Jen1977ni Aug 3rd 2010 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by ollydt (Post 8750725)
Hi, sounds like good advice like anything put the effort in and you will get things.

Got my registration through the other day and just heard from ANZUK a relief teaching agency. If you don't mind me asking they reckon the hardest working and most flexible get about $850 p/w (net), do you on average get more than that?

Are you enjoying doing short term contracts and is their much stress around it? We were worried how landlords might see it if there is no fixed long term contract to guarantee rent etc. We are really excited about trying a new school system now. Three weeks to take off, mental!

Cheers

Olly

In all honesty, as an overseas teacher fresh into Oz I doubt there's much of an alternative to relief work, the likelihood of getting something more long term upon landing is pretty much nil! If u do relief/short notice work it's $61 an hour, slightly less if ur on a contract, that's in QLD tho, not sure of other states?! Keep me posted on how u go! Good luck, Jx

Bev_n Aug 20th 2010 12:01 am

Hi

Did you get a visa to live out there permanently? or u going on a whv? I'm sooo jealo!! i want to be going in 3 weeks :-( starting to feel like i'll never get there though! my only option is a whv I think but I wouldn't want to go home when it was over!!!

I want to live there and settle!! my cousins are harping on asking me when we're going to be living near them!! I want it to be now!! lol grr so frustrating!!

Sorry, i'm in 1 of those moods! :rofl: