British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   Registering as a teacher (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/registering-teacher-527255/)

iainandsam Apr 6th 2008 3:36 pm

Registering as a teacher

Hi there,

Am due to emigrate with OH under his skills (carpenter) therefore have not had mine recognized. We have 2 young children so i was not planning on working until they go to school so am wondering whether to wait until i want to go back to work or to do it before hand. Obviusly i will take teaching files, references etc with me for this in the future. What would others advise be and what do you need as evidence to apply to be a teacher. I passed my PGCE in 2002 and have 6 yrs experience of secondary teaching experience. We are planning on settling in Vic, thanks in advance.

hereshoping Apr 13th 2008 12:26 pm

Re: Registering as a teacher

Originally Posted by iainandsam (Post 6168180)
Hi there,

Am due to emigrate with OH under his skills (carpenter) therefore have not had mine recognized. We have 2 young children so i was not planning on working until they go to school so am wondering whether to wait until i want to go back to work or to do it before hand. Obviusly i will take teaching files, references etc with me for this in the future. What would others advise be and what do you need as evidence to apply to be a teacher. I passed my PGCE in 2002 and have 6 yrs experience of secondary teaching experience. We are planning on settling in Vic, thanks in advance.

you need statements of service from all employers and will need a professional reference from all schools worked in over the past 3 years stating how you met the required VIC teaching standards for full registation. You also need official transcripts of all degree level work

Much easier to do while still in the UK- takes about 2-3 months to become registered if you provide all the information correctly first time round.

iainandsam Apr 13th 2008 1:47 pm

Thanks for info, once registered do you need to teach straight away or can you just register and leave it at that. I have a young family as was not planning on going back for a couple of years.

hereshoping Apr 14th 2008 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by iainandsam (Post 6201812)
Thanks for info, once registered do you need to teach straight away or can you just register and leave it at that. I have a young family as was not planning on going back for a couple of years.

You don't need to teach straigt away though you will need to pay the anual registration fee to stay registered and avoid having to go through the whole process again at a later date.

Paddy_M Apr 14th 2008 8:13 pm

On the Teaching Australia application it states that evidence of the number of days teaching practice is required.

What have others used as evidence?
I finished my QTS 10 years ago!

hereshoping Apr 15th 2008 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Paddy_M (Post 6208279)
On the Teaching Australia application it states that evidence of the number of days teaching practice is required.

It says this on my transcript from uni (which I had to request separately and pay £25 for)

tynajon Apr 25th 2008 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Paddy_M (Post 6208279)

My PGCE (July 2006) transcript didnt state no. of days teaching practice. Therefore I contacted the uni & explained that I needed evidence for Oz application. They wrote/signed/stamped etc a general letter stating no. of days. This was accepted as proof by TA & DIAC.