Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Registering to teach in SA

Registering to teach in SA

Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold
Default Registering to teach in SA

Okay I know it's somewhere on this forum,but can't find it. Can anyone help? I need the website for details of how to register to teach in sa, whilst still in the uk.
Nick
Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:37 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Registering to teach in SA

Okay, don't know site for that but I have a website that has links to all state/territory dept's in Oz and their respective job pages/education department/registration pages...hope it helps!

http://www.teachers.ash.org.au/aussi...employment.htm

Failing that: google the edu dept in SA and follow the links??
Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by matildaskye
Okay, don't know site for that but I have a website that has links to all state/territory dept's in Oz and their respective job pages/education department/registration pages...hope it helps!

http://www.teachers.ash.org.au/aussi...employment.htm

Failing that: google the edu dept in SA and follow the links??
Cheers for that, just what I need. Anyone know how you get a certified statement of how many hours worked on teaching practice.Mine was 20 years ago!!! Would a letter from the college suffice do you think? I don't believe that I'll be sending away for a 3rd police check.Already done one for NOOSR AND Dimia, they like to be thorough don't they!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:53 pm
missapps

missapps will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nick11
Cheers for that, just what I need. Anyone know how you get a certified statement of how many hours worked on teaching practice.Mine was 20 years ago!!! Would a letter from the college suffice do you think? I don't believe that I'll be sending away for a 3rd police check.Already done one for NOOSR AND Dimia, they like to be thorough don't they!
Hi Nick11,
I think if im correct you are in the midst of completing a skills assessment form form 'Teaching Australia' website?
I wanted the answer to the same question and even though i qualified 3 yrs ago, still do not have the evidence of tecahing practice! thinking that maybe teaching experience after graduation i.e. reference from head should be suffice?

and in regards to a letter from the college, after just reading the 12 page information attached to the application form, it says OR a letter from the college, so sholud be ok i think.

Missapps:
beer:
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:23 am
Wanderer

saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Do you have a formal record of pre-service teaching practice? I know for my college all our teaching mentors/supervisors in each school (we did 4 pracs and an internship) had to complete a record/assessment of our teaching practice and we also had lecturers visit and assess various lessons. All of this had to be compiled into a practicum report by us for each one and we had a 'pass' awarded on our Degree Transcript when we graduated. I know I used this at one stage when trying to get recognition of my Aust degree/exp in the UK. So perhaps dig out any old records you have as well as a letter from your College and you should be okay?
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Do you have a formal record of pre-service teaching practice? I know for my college all our teaching mentors/supervisors in each school (we did 4 pracs and an internship) had to complete a record/assessment of our teaching practice and we also had lecturers visit and assess various lessons. All of this had to be compiled into a practicum report by us for each one and we had a 'pass' awarded on our Degree Transcript when we graduated. I know I used this at one stage when trying to get recognition of my Aust degree/exp in the UK. So perhaps dig out any old records you have as well as a letter from your College and you should be okay?
The only thing I can find is an academic transcript,but all it says for teaching practise is pass! I thought they needed to know the number od days,hours worked. After 16 years of teaching it's a farce!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:49 am
Wanderer

Does seem a bit bizarre wanting to know about practice teaching when you've clearly been doing it for real for a long time. I only graduated in 2002 and have yet to do a full year of teaching and TRY to use my practice teaching as a sort of 'CV filler' and nobody will buy it...so I can't see why SA would be interested...

Perhaps they are merely trying to ascertain the standard of your degree (ie; making sure it's a proper teaching one and not a GTP or something like that)

It sounds like you should shoot off an email to somebody there - it's often just a case of misunderstanding the jargon?????
Old Jan 9th 2007, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does seem a bit bizarre wanting to know about practice teaching when you've clearly been doing it for real for a long time. I only graduated in 2002 and have yet to do a full year of teaching and TRY to use my practice teaching as a sort of 'CV filler' and nobody will buy it...so I can't see why SA would be interested...

Perhaps they are merely trying to ascertain the standard of your degree (ie; making sure it's a proper teaching one and not a GTP or something like that)

It sounds like you should shoot off an email to somebody there - it's often just a case of misunderstanding the jargon?????
After the day I've had today at school, stacking shelves or cleaning loos seems to be becoming attractive!For Christ sake,why can't we just teach.Why is my life filled with form filling,assessment and yet more assessment!! If I see another IEP,ISP ,health and safety crap demands,I'll scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!And I only teach bloody foundation!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Hello guys. I'm in SA having just done most of this process. I've been documenting what I've been finding along the way so you may want to read my post?

Hope it helps.
x

Last edited by Mochinbach; Mar 2nd 2007 at 11:02 am. Reason: Had to get the linl\k! Clik on the words my post!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

In answer to your query about proving the hours and things. I asked my uni to send me the course desriptions sheets. They outlined the number of directed time /undirected time hours for each module and the number of hours spent in schools.

PM Me if you need more help