Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

re-post from yesterday - re teaching- advice pls

re-post from yesterday - re teaching- advice pls

Old Jun 15th 2007, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

misstukatz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re-post from yesterday - re teaching- advice pls

would having a PGCE (FE) in art,help with job prospects abroad - say in Spain perhaps
I am about to do a PGCE to teach art and design at further ed level, and plan to stay in uk for a couple of years and gain experience, but really want to live somewhere warmer, and work abroad - bring my daughter up in a nicer place etc ....anyone had experience of teaching at further ed level abroad, does having the PGCE count over there, and also would it help towards points for a TEFL or equivalent if i had to back myself up with extra work teaching english? really would want to teach art / craft though - and poss to expats - any advice...any recommended places???? sorry lots of questions!
Old Jun 15th 2007, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: re-post from yesterday - re teaching- advice pls

PGCE is generally recognised world wide. You should not have a problem getting a job with this qualification.

However not get any experience of higher ed.

But not sure if you would be better off doing high school Art and Design PGCE! Teaching IGCE and Baclaureate level (equivelent to Alevels).

As plenty of jobs in International schools for teacher including Spain. Also your daughter would get free education at the school.
See www.tesjobs.co.uk
Then click International and tonnes of jobs for schools worldwide and USA will appear.

Hubby has art and design background then did a PGCE in Primary teaching. Been happily teaching several years.

We are working in International School in Europe. So know its good life and perks if you have kids.

Plenty of work for PGCE teachers in International schools for high school level and Primary. Although High School is more short of teachers.

GEMS
Old Jun 15th 2007, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

thankyou GEMS -that is very positive news!!! My PGCE is for anything over 16 yrs of age, so A-level plus, but i may be able to convert it to secondary age, and highly likely in uk i would be teaching 14 yrs plus so would get experience that way.

that is interesting about the free education for my daughter - is that only at the school you end up teaching at? - does that happen in every country?
Old Jun 17th 2007, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

If you work in a International School any place in the world (these are usually based on UK curriculum) Has to be International school, and they usually teach expat kids and some local children.

Then they are private schools and therefore teachers usually get places for their children free. Perk of the job, also free or subsidised housing and other perks.

Eg Ive got kids and mine currently get free education in a school that others pay equivelant to 3000 pounds per term! Also free housing and some other perks.

Kids places are usually in all International schools, however other perks are usually dependant on the school. But once your ready check out tes website and overseas forum. Then others can recommend school with best package and working conditions. Also best time to apply is around Christmas. After May then most vacancies have been filled.

GEMS
Old Jun 17th 2007, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, kids school place is at the same school you are working in. But most International Schools go from 18months old to 18 years!

So shouldnt be a problem if your daughter is nursery or primary and you teach high school age.

GEMS
Old Jun 17th 2007, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks sooooo much Gems!!! all this info is really great! I am going to print it off and keep it so that it will encourage me to really think about new life abroad in a few years time !!!!
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

sarabeth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by misstukatz
Thanks sooooo much Gems!!! all this info is really great! I am going to print it off and keep it so that it will encourage me to really think about new life abroad in a few years time !!!!
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the PGCE is not recognized here in the USA. I'm an American who trained in England to teach. When I came back, it was literally impossible to get a teaching certificate. The only reson I got one is because I took some tests, and because I am an American citizen. No one will hire you. Sorry!