Teaching Sponsorhips WA

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

lekkilizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Teaching Sponsorhips WA

Have just been given the go ahead from DET in Perth so will hopefully be bringing a Husband and 10 Year old to WA in January. Can anyone who has followed this route previously give me a clearer picture about what to expect next eg: housing, international removers or storage in uk, orientation etc...

Thanx
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching Sponsorhips WA

Originally Posted by lekkilizard
Have just been given the go ahead from DET in Perth so will hopefully be bringing a Husband and 10 Year old to WA in January. Can anyone who has followed this route previously give me a clearer picture about what to expect next eg: housing, international removers or storage in uk, orientation etc...

Thanx
Haven't taken this route but what is it that you wish to know?

Sponsored visas usually involve remote teaching positions. Be very aware that the condition of teacher's housing in outback WA has been heavily criticised in teaching circles and in the newly releasd Twomey report on the teaching crisis in WA.
I would hate to see teachers arriving here and being placed in housing which is the equivalent of a very run-down council estate in the UK - but here it may well be 1000 miles from the nearest town with more than 10000 people.
The WA government needs to take foreign teachers for these positions because not enough people in WA want to do the job. That should tell you something.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you need to get things in writing before you leave. The DET is a very slippery body. Check out www.platowa.com for a good teacher's network.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Yes there is some negativity in the press.

However the WA has been good to the sponsored teachers we know.
We are here on the scheme with kids, and in a new 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom,large garden (new fridge/freezer and washer provided) and its on a new upmarket estate. There is lots of other estates and they could have put us in a smaller/older part of town but they didnt.

I am North of Perth and for us the scheme works.

I cant guarantee you will like it, but we have lived in two towns via the scheme and both were excellent housing.

The stuff on platowa website has not been relevant to us regarding housing, also I read the site months ago and they tended to be very negative about expat teachers. Therefore we do not bother with this website.
Yes, teachers are not well paid here in WA, but we came for the lifestyle.

* We are not in the middle of a desert, but in large town right on the coast. Towns are likely to be like these, any place North of Perth such as Northam,Geraldton, Carnarvon,Karatha, inland -Kalagoorlie, South - around these areasManjimup,Narrogin, Esperance, Albancy

Gems

Last edited by Gems; Jun 23rd 2008 at 1:29 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

You will get allocated housing prior to arrival. This will be a house suited for size of family.

We were met at Perth airport by driver who took us to hotel apartments.
This is the place they put families in last year, single teachers went to another central Perth hotel that was good.

http://www.regalapartments.com.au/in....rooms.53.html
When we arrived they had put food and tea/coffee for a couple of days in the fridge for us. It was very nice hotel, and had cafes/bars,river walks and small shops. Also free CAT bus straight to Perth centre, that runs every 5-10mins.

Teacher does a 3 day course with the other sponsored teachers. This is nothing taxing, mainly powerpoint presentations and talks. Also give you info on other things regarding living in OZ. Course is 9am to about 3.00pm.

You have 2weeks in Perth to organise medicare (if from UK), driving licence etc,3day course, any purchases and general sightseeing.

We bought items like beds from IKEA in Perth and they will ship it to your new home. (this shipping is paid by education) So on arrival of our new home our stuff we bought was waiting. Elec goods we just bought from our town.

Then they fly you to your town, or you can drive if you have car. Paid for by Education department (flights or fuel).

You can claim back reconnection fees for Telephone, elec, gas,water but claim must be within 12months.

You get return flights or fuel once a year to return to Perth for you and your family.

Hope this helps, we have kids aged from 3 -16years and they love it here.

Gems
PS, we used excess baggage as only shipped 40 tea chests. They will ship anything from about a whole house to one suitcase.

Last edited by Gems; Jun 23rd 2008 at 1:31 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
You will get allocated housing prior to arrival. This will be a house suited for size of family.

We were met at Perth airport by driver who took us to hotel apartments.
This is the place they put families in last year, single teachers went to another central Perth hotel that was good.

http://www.regalapartments.com.au/in....rooms.53.html
When we arrived they had put food and tea/coffee for a couple of days in the fridge for us. It was very nice hotel, and had cafes/bars,river walks and small shops. Also free CAT bus straight to Perth centre, that runs every 5-10mins.

Teacher does a 3 day course with the other sponsored teachers. This is nothing taxing, mainly powerpoint presentations and talks. Also give you info on other things regarding living in OZ. Course is 9am to about 3.00pm.

You have 2weeks in Perth to organise medicare (if from UK), driving licence etc,3day course, any purchases and general sightseeing.

We bought items like beds from IKEA in Perth and they will ship it to your new home. (this shipping is paid by education) So on arrival of our new home our stuff we bought was waiting. Elec goods we just bought from our town.

Then they fly you to your town, or you can drive if you have car. Paid for by Education department (flights or fuel).

You can claim back reconnection fees for Telephone, elec, gas,water but claim must be within 12months.

You get return flights or fuel once a year to return to Perth for you and your family.

Hope this helps, we have kids aged from 3 -16years and they love it here.

Gems

Wow - this is very positive!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, we were pleasantly surprised. It certainly took most of the pressure off for those coming with kids.

As like you say some negativity about teaching here by Ozzie teachers.
However the education department do seam to be trying with the expat sponsorship. Not everyone likes OZ, and so no guarantees only once here can you tell if you like it.

Also must be aware it may be smaller town with a quieter life.

Gems
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Teaching Sponsorhips WA

Gems

Many thanks for the advice and insight.

Was already aware about the negative attitudes towards some teaching expats and pay etc.. but the one thing we never did was go into teaching for the money. Am glad there is an Ikea in Perth as I really do not want to ship out lots of stuff. 40 tea chests seems a lot to me what did you pack?

I hope we are lucky with our housing allocation as you. I must admit my nightmare is that we end up in some sort of run down shack referred to as a "quaint and rustic cottage would suit..."

I am sure that I will have lots more to ask over the distance so I apologise in advance.

Nicki
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

40 tea chests, was lots of books as we are all avid readers.
Also I have 4 kids, so you can imagine the toys they insisted on bringing
Mainly kids stuff and small house stuff we wanted them to feel at home.
But to be honest you can get most things here that you get back in UK.

I know several people on the scheme and all have decent accomodation.
Rent is about half price of what you would pay. Eg our house would cost $400per week but we only pay $200 as education department pay the rest. This town the UK teachers have new houses that the education department leased from private lanlords.

Gems
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really nice

Hello,

Yes there is some negativity in the press.

However the WA has been good to the sponsored teachers we know.
We are here on the scheme with kids, and in a new 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom,large garden (new fridge/freezer and washer provided) and its on a new upmarket estate. There is lots of other estates and they could have put us in a smaller/older part of town but they didnt.

I am North of Perth and for us the scheme works.

I cant guarantee you will like it, but we have lived in two towns via the scheme and both were excellent housing.

The stuff on platowa website has not been relevant to us regarding housing, also I read the site months ago and they tended to be very negative about expat teachers. Therefore we do not bother with this website.
Yes, teachers are not well paid here in WA, but we came for the lifestyle.

* We are not in the middle of a desert, but in large town right on the coast. Towns are likely to be like these, any place North of Perth such as Northam,Geraldton, Carnarvon,Karatha, inland -Kalagoorlie, South - around these areasManjimup,Narrogin, Esperance, Albancy

Gems
Hi Gems

You truly are a gem! I postsed a message on ******** website to find out the experiences of other teachers that have gone through 457 route and got no info whatsoever. I have been offered employment for Jan 09 but it's really hard to imagine what to expect, so a massive thank you for the excellent amount of info you gave. You have absolutely made my day about the type of accommodation and other benefits. I know where to go now if I need more info. Ta very much
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Just to add,
that for anyone coming in January, we had very hot xmas/new year in 2007.
It was 44C at Christmas. This was supposed to be freaky heatwave and even Perth got it.

Therefore bring appropriate clothing as it will be very hot. Also hat and suntan lotion at all times or you will fry!

We used this place as it had cheapest deals for flying out a family. We booked at short notice.
http://www.airline-network.co.uk/
But Ive heard asda etc will have cheap flights too, but we found the above slightly cheaper.

Gems
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hello WA
Hi Gems

You truly are a gem! I postsed a message on ******** website to find out the experiences of other teachers that have gone through 457 route and got no info whatsoever. I have been offered employment for Jan 09 but it's really hard to imagine what to expect, so a massive thank you for the excellent amount of info you gave. You have absolutely made my day about the type of accommodation and other benefits. I know where to go now if I need more info. Ta very much
We too are coming in Jan. See you in Perth hopefully and keep in touch as we go through the next few months getting sorted.

Nicki
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Just to add,
that for anyone coming in January, we had very hot xmas/new year in 2007.
It was 44C at Christmas. This was supposed to be freaky heatwave and even Perth got it.

Therefore bring appropriate clothing as it will be very hot. Also hat and suntan lotion at all times or you will fry!

We used this place as it had cheapest deals for flying out a family. We booked at short notice.
http://www.airline-network.co.uk/
But Ive heard asda etc will have cheap flights too, but we found the above slightly cheaper.

Gems
Will buy SPF1 000 000 in advance. Thanx for the warning. Thought just having the 1 child would be bad enough to pack for let alone 4. Brave woman !!

What do we do about electricals and TV's? Is it best just to sell them before we arrive and get new? I never really need any excuse to shop for anything !

Nicki
Old Jun 24th 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

leeh36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

Can I ask if you all have definates for january starts?

I ask, as I applied in April and I have only just had an offer of interview which will be carried out in October. I am starting to worry now that I have missed the Jan start.

I left my application until April as I wanted to miss the July intake.
I hope I haven't messed up

Lee
Old Jun 24th 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Hi

Best to email and ask contact at DET. Have you had any dealings with Sue Carpenter or Julie Coleman?

I was recommended to get my qualifications verified etc.. by WACOT prior to interview so as not to waste time, theirs or mine. You will need transcripts of degree and PGCE to do this.

I recieved email last week confirming sponsorship and the Visa docs say Jan 09 start or July 09 start or Jan 2010 start. I waited 4 painful weeks after interview on 23rd May before offer was made.

If it is for Jan start you would have to resign your current post by Oct 31st so it may be a July 09 start.

Send me PM if you want so I can let you know the steps I am going through at moment in more detail. Gems has been a great source of advice too.

Nicki
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Hello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really nice

Originally Posted by leeh36
Hello everyone,

Can I ask if you all have definates for january starts?

I ask, as I applied in April and I have only just had an offer of interview which will be carried out in October. I am starting to worry now that I have missed the Jan start.

I left my application until April as I wanted to miss the July intake.
I hope I haven't messed up

Lee
I went to London expo 15th March, but couldn'y wait 3 days in London for interview so had interview in Glasgow 19th March. Told interview successful and to forward details of relies for visa purposes and refs details 14th April; sent details off and WACOT pre-assessment 12th May; told 13th June that DET will sponsor and my employment commences 19 Jan 09.
Possible you may have missed Jan start as DET said they lodge visa appl for Jan start in Sept.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.