British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   Question about Teaching in Australia. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/question-about-teaching-australia-649988/)

SJ007 Jan 18th 2010 8:15 pm

Question about Teaching in Australia.

Hello all. I teach English in a secondary school in the UK. I am planning to move to Austalia (Preferrably one of these places- Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra) with my family. Can anyone please tell us will it be easy to find a permanent job teaching english in a secondary school? Here in UK it is quite easy to find a Permanent job in the teaching profession. Is it the same situation in Australia as well? Can someone also tell us which websites advertise teaching jobs? Any help and advice will be much appreciated.

coolerkingcooler Jan 19th 2010 3:04 am

Re: Question about Teaching in Australia.

Originally Posted by SJ007 (Post 8260257)
Hello all. I teach English in a secondary school in the UK. I am planning to move to Austalia (Preferrably one of these places- Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra) with my family. Can anyone please tell us will it be easy to find a permanent job teaching english in a secondary school? Here in UK it is quite easy to find a Permanent job in the teaching profession. Is it the same situation in Australia as well? Can someone also tell us which websites advertise teaching jobs? Any help and advice will be much appreciated.

I have been in SA for three months and have secured a permanent job - after satisfactory appraisal. This is the independent sector as it extremely difficult to get a permanent job in the state sector in SA unless you do 'rural' teaching (I think two years).

I have met many Australians who have never had a permanent job in the state sector. This is because they have not done the required rural teaching. I believe that this is the case in most and possibly all states in Australia. I am sure that you will get a job in secondary, but you may need to here specifically from people in areas you mention.

BTW we love Adelaide:thumbup:

Good luck,
Cooler

geelong Jan 23rd 2010 11:04 am

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler (Post 8261123)
I have been in SA for three months and have secured a permanent job - after satisfactory appraisal. This is the independent sector as it extremely difficult to get a permanent job in the state sector in SA unless you do 'rural' teaching (I think two years).

I have met many Australians who have never had a permanent job in the state sector. This is because they have not done the required rural teaching. I believe that this is the case in most and possibly all states in Australia. I am sure that you will get a job in secondary, but you may need to here specifically from people in areas you mention.

BTW we love Adelaide:thumbup:

Good luck,
Cooler

It seems to be the same here in Victoria.

Monker1980 Jan 31st 2010 9:05 pm

Hi,

Just to jump in on the back of this (hope that's OK!)...

My wife and I are currently deciding whether to make the move over to Adelaide - I've been offered a job with a company based in Adelaide CBD so should have a sponsored visa. She is an English teacher currently working in a grammar school and has about 5 years post-PGCE teaching experience. Having looked at the SA teacher application process, my main concern is that my wife will struggle to find a similar position to that which she has now. That is, nice school, good location, good kids etc. It almost seems that she may have to take a step backwards in her career if she wants to continue teaching.

Cooler: Based on your experience to date, how difficult is the independent sector to get in to? Are there many independent schools in the Adelaide metro area and how fierce is the competition for those jobs which do come up?

Thanks - this is all very daunting!

coolerkingcooler Feb 2nd 2010 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Monker1980 (Post 8299245)
Hi,

Just to jump in on the back of this (hope that's OK!)...

My wife and I are currently deciding whether to make the move over to Adelaide - I've been offered a job with a company based in Adelaide CBD so should have a sponsored visa. She is an English teacher currently working in a grammar school and has about 5 years post-PGCE teaching experience. Having looked at the SA teacher application process, my main concern is that my wife will struggle to find a similar position to that which she has now. That is, nice school, good location, good kids etc. It almost seems that she may have to take a step backwards in her career if she wants to continue teaching.

Cooler: Based on your experience to date, how difficult is the independent sector to get in to? Are there many independent schools in the Adelaide metro area and how fierce is the competition for those jobs which do come up?

Thanks - this is all very daunting!

That's a tough one as I have little experience or no info from any contacts re the 'better schools'.

I cannot comment on competition for jobs, but I can say that there are many excellent high fee pay schools around the CBD. Basically, it's the opposite of most CBD's in UK - the closer you get to the city, the more expensive housing is. The reputation of a few I have heard of is that there are many first class schools. The facities of some are up there or superior to many in the UK.

If you want to come, come an even if your wife works on a temp or part-time basis intially, that often changes out here - they do like British teachers.

Good luck, Adelaide is a lovely place:thumbsup:,
Cooler

freckles1970 Feb 6th 2010 2:45 am

I am based in Sydney. I arrived in October and teach a shortage subject. After applying for to date 79 jobs I still have nothing:ohmy:

My friend has been here since December 2008 She teaches English and History. She has secured three termly placements last year, but did not work at all in term four and has nothing now either.

I would say based on my own experience so far and also that of other teachers I have met from the UK, Sydney is a very tough place to get into and the registration process is a nightmare compared to other states.

coolerkingcooler Feb 7th 2010 1:00 am

Originally Posted by freckles1970 (Post 8316544)
I am based in Sydney. I arrived in October and teach a shortage subject. After applying for to date 79 jobs I still have nothing:ohmy:

My friend has been here since December 2008 She teaches English and History. She has secured three termly placements last year, but did not work at all in term four and has nothing now either.

I would say based on my own experience so far and also that of other teachers I have met from the UK, Sydney is a very tough place to get into and the registration process is a nightmare compared to other states.

Wow, you have tried hard, sorry you've not had success yet.

In relation to TRT, terms four and one are the quietest - though there is some available in SA in term four when teachers need to do reports:eek:

Best of luck,
Cooler

saoghalbeag Feb 7th 2010 2:18 am

I'd say Brisbane is also difficult - new teacher I know spent her first year working a heap of other casual jobs, although she has a post this year (temp but may become permanent). She's in the state system.

For independent school jobs:

http://www.teachers.on.net/

SEEK or Careerone

For state school jobs you can look at the state government websites as sometimes they will post hard to fill vacancies, but mostly you need to register with the relevant teacher rego body, then register with the state/territory education department & wait to be allocated.

TRACER have contracts and manage supply for state schools in south east Qld, not sure about other states.

There's also Cath Ed - they have their own employment sites and may also advertise on any of the 3 job sites mentioned above.

Good luck!

miss_morph Feb 23rd 2010 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by freckles1970 (Post 8316544)

Hi,
We are contemplating moving to NSW (North of Sydney) in Aug-Dec 2013, a long way away yet but we need to prepare ourselves as best we can...
I was wondering what you meant by the 'registration process'?

On migration I will have held my current position as a Special Needs Teaching Assistant for 3 years before having started teacher training (a GTP: work-based teacher training, due to start September 2011). I will have a BA Hons in Spanish & English Language and will have completed one years post-training experience (Sept 2012-July 2013). Having looked at the points scheme i don't believe i will get in on my qualifications alone, but my OH will as he is an electrical engineer, but will i struggle to find work based on my lack of experience?

Many thanks

Sarah

Australia_bound? Feb 24th 2010 11:42 am

Originally Posted by miss_morph (Post 8368453)
Hi,
We are contemplating moving to NSW (North of Sydney) in Aug-Dec 2013, a long way away yet but we need to prepare ourselves as best we can...
I was wondering what you meant by the 'registration process'?

On migration I will have held my current position as a Special Needs Teaching Assistant for 3 years before having started teacher training (a GTP: work-based teacher training, due to start September 2011). I will have a BA Hons in Spanish & English Language and will have completed one years post-training experience (Sept 2012-July 2013). Having looked at the points scheme i don't believe i will get in on my qualifications alone, but my OH will as he is an electrical engineer, but will i struggle to find work based on my lack of experience?

Many thanks

Sarah

Sarah think you need to look up GTP and if Australia actually recognise it.

miss_morph Feb 24th 2010 7:11 pm

Hi Australia-bound,
since writing that post (& thanks to this forum) i have found out that Oz does not accept GTP as an actual qualification!! :ohmy: which is just crazy in my mind, since i'd also have a years teaching exp under my belt too! either way, thanks to all the wonderful, knowledgable people on this site i am looking at ways around the system. Am still going to do my GTP in England, in case we don't come to Oz, but i am looking into the Charles Sturt Syndney uni (international students) Bachelors of Teaching qualification. thanks for your concern. this site is great!

Sarah

coolerkingcooler Feb 27th 2010 12:01 am

Originally Posted by miss_morph (Post 8371983)
Hi Australia-bound,
since writing that post (& thanks to this forum) i have found out that Oz does not accept GTP as an actual qualification!! :ohmy: which is just crazy in my mind, since i'd also have a years teaching exp under my belt too! either way, thanks to all the wonderful, knowledgable people on this site i am looking at ways around the system. Am still going to do my GTP in England, in case we don't come to Oz, but i am looking into the Charles Sturt Syndney uni (international students) Bachelors of Teaching qualification. thanks for your concern. this site is great!

Sarah

Glad you have found some useful information here. Would you come on a PR visa? Temp/provisional visas normally mean you'd pay International student fees which are pretty considerably.

Good luck,
Cooler