Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Queensland college of teachers - help with registration?!

Queensland college of teachers - help with registration?!

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice
Default Queensland college of teachers - help with registration?!

When i apply for registration with queensland college of teachers, it asks for certified copies professional references. Does anybody know if evidence of your contracts would do as i want to get going with the process. Does it have to be a written reference that i supply or just their contact details.

How long would it take to get a police reference through at the moment. anyone recently done this. I have an old police reference does anybody know how recent these police checks have to be. I also have my last CRB which is just over a year old, will they need these too?

lisas
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:26 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland college of teachers - help with registration?!

I believe your police check has to be less than 12 months old - they don't want the CRB check.

You will need to include a professional reference from your employer/school on headed paper and signed.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

You will need original copies of refs from your school and any others that you have worked in over the past few years (sorry, I can't remember how many years...I think it was 3 but I may be wrong) check the state registration website to be sure

Police checks take up to 40 days....mine arrived on the 38th day!

I really needed to get my state teacher registration as part of my sponsorship qualification and so had no time to wait for my police check. Victoria accepted my CRB check although it was fairly new (6 months)

Hope this helps
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:25 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes it need to be an actual reference. I had problems with this myself, it took my old employer two months to get it to me! Initially I sent in my evaluations that were really detailed but all they needed was a short letter.

I actually called them and this is what they told me needed to be in the letter:
-they should state there are no reasons why you shouldn't be employed as a teacher here
-you're of good character
-you're a good teacher, etc
-it should also mention the time that you've worked there
-contact info for your reference

They need to mail you a copy and then you need to get it certified.

If you're not in Oz then you'd need a police check. When I applied I was already here and hadn't left the country so it wasn't required.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:26 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, and by the way my application for registration took 4 full months to process. It was supposed to take a maximum of 3 but they got backed up apparently. I just got it last week actually
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice

ok thanks. I am just about to send off my paperwork for registration with queensland college of teachers. Am i right in thinking that once i have this i can work in private/church schools, but not state schools. I also have an application for teacher employment with the qld government. is this what i need to send off if i want to work in state schools - it seems I have to send all my paper work to them too!

Do you know what documentary evidence qld college of teachers actually need as proof of your degree when you try to register. I have my B.ed degree certificate and a 70 page document outlining my entire course with breakdown of exam/ coursework percentages etc. Do I have to send it all off or do you think the 1st 2 pages will do that just gives total hrs spent on each subject and whether it was pass or fail. I don't want to delay the already long and tiresome process by sending the wrong stuff off.

Do you have any experience of relier teaching in any sectors and who is the best contacts to get this work.

Thx from Lisa.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:56 am
Canuck/Aussie

You need to be registered with the queensland college of teachers in order to work in the state schools. I have no idea about private/church schools though. I was told that you once you've applied for registration you can apply for employment as a teacher with the government. I think they said that if you get offered a job that the college of teachers would fast track your application. By "they" I mean the college of teachers because that's who I've spoken with on the phone.

When I applied I sent them certified copies of my degree (1 page) and my transcript (4 pages). The transcript just had the course name and final grade. I suspect all they need to see is the degree and a short transcript. So I don't think a 70 page document is necessary unless that's the only record you have or they don't recognize it or something. Rather than sending that huge document maybe it's better just to call or email them and ask what they want. I've called several times now and someone usually answers in a minute or two and they're generally pretty helpful.

If you are missing something when you apply they'll let you know anyway. I initally sent my evaluations instead of a reference because that's all I had. Not long after they asked for a real reference. Apparently they kept processing it anyway while waiting for me to send it to them.

No I don't have any experience teaching here. You can't actually do relief teaching unless you have your registration, so I've been waiting for that. And they won't fast track your registration for relief teaching. I did stop by a high school one day and spoke with someone there for a few minutes. I was actually there enquiring about a teachers aide job and they were thrilled when they found out I was a teacher. The lady was just about drooling when I said I taught math.... so I think they need relief teachers. They told me if I had a day or two free a week they would have me very busy. Other than that experience I haven't talked to anyone.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:35 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

Just a quick reply to say "Hi".

I sent my QCT application off yesterday. I'm still in the UK and finishing work in July. We hope to move in August, and then find work ASAP. I teach Secondary ICT, and this will be my 4th year.

I went to a few state schools in Townsville, QLD on a reccie last August as 'voluntary work experience'. One of them offered me a job. It would have prob' only been a temporary contract, but I was pleased at the offer. It was to start now (Jan 08), so I couldn't accept.

It turns out that although you have to apply to the department of ed', if a school know you, they can 'request' you. So I plan on throwing my self at as many schools as possible for 'work experience' if needs be...

With regards to your application and 'degree information' - I included my transcripts. This gave an outline of the topics/units covered, but - and I think more importantly, the number of Credits/Points that the course was awarded.

I had no problem getting a full written reference, as work know I'm leaving (just took a couple of weeks of 'badgering' to get it...)

Cheers,

Last edited by Simon.and.Kate; Jan 31st 2008 at 7:37 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:41 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Just about the references: when you go to apply with Edu Qld they will ask for 'statements of service' from your previous employers. This is more to do with your salary level than a note saying how great you were! Make sure you get the right list of info that they are looking for in these statements or they will send them back to you (and in my case about 2 years after I first submitted it - so of course the person who wrote it for me was in the UK but no longer in the job - RETIRED and zilch ways to contact him

There are details in the paperwork Edu Qld sends you and it's particularly important if you are an experienced teacher. Just thought you might like to be aware of that NOW while you're contacting old schools as you could kill 2 birds with one stone. Try to get the UK schools to use Australian jargon too - I worked in a Scottish school that labelled me 'Assistant History Teacher' - which meant 2nd in command in the department to them, but to Education Queensland that meant I was a Teacher's Aide!!!

Good luck.