British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   Private schools in Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/private-schools-australia-627816/)

alihewings Aug 27th 2009 11:00 am

Private schools in Australia

Hi there,

I was looking to go out to Australia for around 3 years to teach but have found that due to my teaching degree (3yrs) not being recognised, it will be a lot harder than I first thought. I have looked through all the posts on this website but nobody seems to have mentioned Private schools when they have discussed options.

I just wondered if it was the same case as in the UK where Private schools can essentially hire people who are 'unqualified'. Is this also the case in Australia?

I know that people have probably had lots of questions like this but I have done a lot of research but found nothing that mentions this (maybe because it is not possible! but I thought I'd try!)

Hope somebody could enlighten me a little :) as this whole degree malarkey has really burst my bubble!

Thanks,
Ali

missapps Aug 27th 2009 11:54 am

Re: Private schools in Australia

Private schools in Australia are usually catholic schools and much easier to come by than they are in UK. However, they still require you to be on the correct visa to employ you. You need to still register with the state that you want to teach in so for eg im in WA and needed to be registered with both WACOT for a job full-stop and DET for state schools relief/supply. Look up the state that you want to work in for their requirements as some do differ from the skills assessment that DIAC require for most longh term visas. You may find your 3 yr visa is accepted and therefore once you have the right visa that allows you to work in Australia you can register in that state and apply if you can get a school to sponsor you for a longer term visa as below.

So you would need to be on say a working hol visa 417 for them to see you teach and then if a job is going there at that school-
you could apply (but would have to ask them first if they would consider sponsoring you on a 457 visa) if they thought you were better than any other ozzie teachers and then they would have to offer you a contract for at least a year to be worth sponsoring you to make it worth your while.
So basically it is difficult to get this sponsorship without the school seeing you first and meeting you to see if you are worth all the paperwork and cost for sponsorship.
So i suggest coming out here on WHV if you are under 30 and then doing supply- they call it relief here in a few schools- you do not register with agencies its better to hand out CV's into schools- like the private/independent catholic schools and work there in that area for 6 months as per WHV restrictions-only allowed 6 months in one company/DET and then you'll get your name known and then you migt find a school to employ you and sponsor you- but i said might- im in that situation and have been for my interview today with catholic school and they are only willing to sponsor for 14 months- so its hard...
sorry this is negative hon, but seriously once you get here its worse!!
Too many people wanting the same thing!!!
Hope this enlightens you a bit...
Laura

Jen1977ni Aug 27th 2009 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by alihewings (Post 7879446)
Hi there,

I was looking to go out to Australia for around 3 years to teach but have found that due to my teaching degree (3yrs) not being recognised, it will be a lot harder than I first thought. I have looked through all the posts on this website but nobody seems to have mentioned Private schools when they have discussed options.

I just wondered if it was the same case as in the UK where Private schools can essentially hire people who are 'unqualified'. Is this also the case in Australia?

I know that people have probably had lots of questions like this but I have done a lot of research but found nothing that mentions this (maybe because it is not possible! but I thought I'd try!)

Hope somebody could enlighten me a little :) as this whole degree malarkey has really burst my bubble!

Thanks,
Ali

I think the problem people have is that when they submit their paperwork to 'Teaching Australia' for their skills assessment, which is the bit you must do before applying for your visa, those with a 3 year teaching qualification are not having their skills recognised as suitable to teach in Australia, and those with 4 year BEd's or PGCE's (not sure about this one) are being recognised. If the skills assessment doesn't come back as suitable to teach in Oz then I think there'd be a problem with proceeding to the actual visa application process?! I had my 4 year BEd recognised but I'm no expert on this, so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about what I've just said above?!

Jen

(PS if you do an advanced search above, or flit through the pages of teaching threads, you will see the problems people have encountered having their 3 year teaching qualification recognised, discussed.)

hereshoping Aug 30th 2009 9:52 am

Unfortunately when it comes to the whole recognition of qualification thing it doesn't matter if you'll be teaching in a state or private school. The same bodies (VIT and then state education department) have to approve your qualifications.

VIT seems to be totally immovable so you'd need to come out on an unskilled visa like a WHV to start with. Some state education departments can be a very little bit flexible if you hammer them- but so far i've only heard of people with an accelerated 3 year BEd (i.e. 4 years worth of content covered in 3 years) being registered to teach.

Sorry.