Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

primary teaching opportunities in oz with a one year working holiday visa?

primary teaching opportunities in oz with a one year working holiday visa?

Old Sep 13th 2009, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

kat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default primary teaching opportunities in oz with a one year working holiday visa?

hi,

totally new to this and hope someone will be able to help?!

I have a 4year BEd (Hons) degree in Primary Education. I have six years full time teaching experience and having visited australia for 5 weeks during the summer i would love to consider a permanent move. I have looked at the various visa routes and feel that its alot of time and money to apply for PR if I may get out there and miss my family and friends too much and want to come home. As I am 26 and eligible to apply for a working holiday visa (only $230!)I am now looking to take a year career break from my permanent teaching position and move to australia in july 2010 for one year and see how i like it! I would love to teach in primary schools in Sydney and having looked at NSW education website it looks possible to do supply teaching with the one year holiday working visa. i know i will have to register with the teaching council for NSW,

does anyone have any experience of supply teaching with this visa? or of the current supply teaching opportunities in Sydney and surrounding areas? or could recommend areas where supply teachers are in high demand?

i would really appreciate any help with this as im excited and apprehensive and it would help me so much to hear back from anyone?!

thanks, kat
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:03 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: primary teaching opportunities in oz with a one year working holiday visa?

Originally Posted by kat83
hi,

totally new to this and hope someone will be able to help?!

I have a 4year BEd (Hons) degree in Primary Education. I have six years full time teaching experience and having visited australia for 5 weeks during the summer i would love to consider a permanent move. I have looked at the various visa routes and feel that its alot of time and money to apply for PR if I may get out there and miss my family and friends too much and want to come home. As I am 26 and eligible to apply for a working holiday visa (only $230!)I am now looking to take a year career break from my permanent teaching position and move to australia in july 2010 for one year and see how i like it! I would love to teach in primary schools in Sydney and having looked at NSW education website it looks possible to do supply teaching with the one year holiday working visa. i know i will have to register with the teaching council for NSW,

does anyone have any experience of supply teaching with this visa? or of the current supply teaching opportunities in Sydney and surrounding areas? or could recommend areas where supply teachers are in high demand?

i would really appreciate any help with this as im excited and apprehensive and it would help me so much to hear back from anyone?!

thanks, kat
I hate to tell you this, but having recently enquired with my union, if you take a career break, it's just that, a break, you're not allowed to work whilst on it! I have a permanent teaching post here in Northern Ireland and am in the process of emigrating to Australia with my partner, my school suggested the safety net of my taking a career break, so that if things didn't work out, I'd have my job to return to, having enquired with the union though, I've been told you're not meant to work whilst on a career break, so unfortunately I can't do this...
Old Sep 21st 2009, 10:22 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: primary teaching opportunities in oz with a one year working holiday visa?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I hate to tell you this, but having recently enquired with my union, if you take a career break, it's just that, a break, you're not allowed to work whilst on it! I have a permanent teaching post here in Northern Ireland and am in the process of emigrating to Australia with my partner, my school suggested the safety net of my taking a career break, so that if things didn't work out, I'd have my job to return to, having enquired with the union though, I've been told you're not meant to work whilst on a career break, so unfortunately I can't do this...
How rigorous is the checking on what you are doing?

Are you not allowed to work at all or just not in the same field ie teaching in this case?

I am sure there are ways around this

Cooler
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
This suprises me. My Headteacher has said that I could take up to two years break from school and keep my job open, she said she would put it to the Governors as Professional Development. Worth a try?
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:39 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
This suprises me. My Headteacher has said that I could take up to two years break from school and keep my job open, she said she would put it to the Governors as Professional Development. Worth a try?
Only one way to find out, go for it and let me know if it works out!