Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Primary Teaching in NZ - Where and $$$'s?

Primary Teaching in NZ - Where and $$$'s?

Old Oct 13th 2006, 3:59 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Primary Teaching in NZ - Where and $$$'s?

Hi all. My wife and I are looking to head to NZ in the second week of 07. She is a Primary School Teacher here in the UK, and looking to carry this on in NZ. We’ve so far done a fair bit of net research, but the 2 burning questions we have yet to get answered are:

1) On average, what is the wage per annum for a primary teacher?
2) Where are there the most primary teaching jobs?

Can anyone shed a little light on either of these issues?

Many thanks,

Wiz’n’Ton
Old Dec 6th 2006, 2:40 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Primary Teaching in NZ - Where and $$$'s?

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Hi all. My wife and I are looking to head to NZ in the second week of 07. She is a Primary School Teacher here in the UK, and looking to carry this on in NZ. We’ve so far done a fair bit of net research, but the 2 burning questions we have yet to get answered are:

1) On average, what is the wage per annum for a primary teacher?
2) Where are there the most primary teaching jobs?

Can anyone shed a little light on either of these issues?

Many thanks,

Wiz’n’Ton
Teachers get around NZD$44K I think. It's the same rate regardless of where you teach, so I would think that Auckland might have more openings as teachers might want to move to a cheaper area thus leaving vacancies in the Big Smoke.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:41 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Primary Teaching in NZ - Where and $$$'s?

Have a look at TeachNZ and the Edgazette. Teach NZ has lots of advice for overseas teacher regarding the education system and employment in NZ. Edgazette is where they advertise all the jobs so that should give you more of an indication as to where the most jobs are likely to be.

I'm in Australia and every so often I scout around the Edgazette boards for jobs and it seems the majority are in Auckland. There is even a teaching agency operating there (I think they're called Oasis teachers?). Some of the UK teaching agencies also recruit returning NZ'ers and UK teachers for New Zealand schools (not sure which ones, sorry, but try Timeplan, Select, A Star Teachers and Smart Teachers to start!)

From what the Teach NZ website seems to indicate it is quite common for UK teachers to be working in NZ schools, and the schools are familiar with assisting with immigration and teacher registration. I would look into the registration side of things yourselves to get the ball rolling as you don't want that to hold you up!

Good luck!