Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Primary teacher..what do I need to do first?.. and a few other questions please!!

Primary teacher..what do I need to do first?.. and a few other questions please!!

Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Bev_n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Primary teacher..what do I need to do first?.. and a few other questions please!!

Hi there!

I've qualified as a teacher now (B.Ed/4 yr degree) Ive been doing supply for about 9 months and am hoping to get a full time job for september for a year.

I've got a vague idea of the things that i need to do to become a teacher in queensland eg, applying for the 175 visa, apply with the qct, get my skills assessed.... what else am I missing?
.... what order do they need to be done in?
.... how long will it all take?
.... how do I actually go about getting a teaching job when i'm there?
.... anything else i should know?

Thanks

Bev xx
Old Mar 31st 2009, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary teacher..what do I need to do first?.. and a few other questions please!!

What are your subjects and age range.

As when we looked into moving, some of the states do not have a shortage and your more likely to end up with Supply unless your in a very shortage subject eg Physics teacher.

We found Victoria and WA you were more likely to get a permanent position.
Look into each state carefully as you could end up finding it hard to get a job.
Also you may need to do country service which is common place here for locals and expats.

Gems
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

janmal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Primary teacher..what do I need to do first?.. and a few other questions please!!

Originally Posted by Bev_n
Hi there!

I've qualified as a teacher now (B.Ed/4 yr degree) Ive been doing supply for about 9 months and am hoping to get a full time job for september for a year.

I've got a vague idea of the things that i need to do to become a teacher in queensland eg, applying for the 175 visa, apply with the qct, get my skills assessed.... what else am I missing?

Thanks

Bev xx
first of all get your skills assessed by teaching australia takes approx 8 weeks.

then apply for whichever visa you want

i think you can register to teach with the state you intend going to once you have your visa granted

lastly be prepared for a long wait we applied oct 08 no c/o yet and not exspecting one for the next 12/18 months in my opinion, i would start the process now gathering your degree transcript and stuff this takes quite a while because you are relying on other people to send you stuff.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bev_n
Hi there!

Thanks

Bev xx

First thing is to get your skills assessed with Teaching Australia this takes about 8wks to come back. Then you can apply for the 175 visa, you will then need to register with QLD college of teaching. You could also register with www.smartteachers.com and they will keep you updated on jobs etc. I believe if you are wanting to work in catholic schools etc you need to register for these sep. Hope this helps. Nicky
Old Apr 5th 2009, 5:17 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janmal
first of all get your skills assessed by teaching australia takes approx 8 weeks.

then apply for whichever visa you want

i think you can register to teach with the state you intend going to once you have your visa granted

lastly be prepared for a long wait we applied oct 08 no c/o yet and not exspecting one for the next 12/18 months in my opinion, i would start the process now gathering your degree transcript and stuff this takes quite a while because you are relying on other people to send you stuff.
Hi Janmal, are you Primary?
Old Apr 5th 2009, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Hi Janmal, are you Primary?
yep, welcome to the wait!!!
Old Apr 5th 2009, 6:55 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

yep, welcome to the wait!!!
You any idea how long the wait will be? lol How longs a piece of string eh lol
Old Apr 5th 2009, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
You any idea how long the wait will be? lol How longs a piece of string eh lol
dont think anyone can answer that question, nobody expected the economic downturn, i reckon 12/18 months from now thats just my opinion, its an awkward time to start the visa process for us, cant blame the aussies for looking after their own people first unlike this country!!
Old Apr 5th 2009, 7:32 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

dont think anyone can answer that question, nobody expected the economic downturn, i reckon 12/18 months from now thats just my opinion, its an awkward time to start the visa process for us, cant blame the aussies for looking after their own people first unlike this country!!
Very true, probably for the best as I want some equity out of my house when I eventually sell it!
Old Apr 5th 2009, 11:36 pm
Banned

fred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nice

If you fancy something a little more adventurous you may consider teaching English in places like China or Indonesia.
These countries are crying out for people like you and the life is good.

Just a thought.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 6:56 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by fred uk
If you fancy something a little more adventurous you may consider teaching English in places like China or Indonesia.

Just a thought.
Oz has been my dream since 2003, been putting it off for too long, will try there first, and if it doesn't work out then we'll see...but thanks anyways Fred...
Old Apr 6th 2009, 5:30 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fred uk

Just a thought.
My HOD (secondary) knows someone who has got a job in HK after one year of teaching and package is worth £45k.

Cooler
Old Apr 6th 2009, 5:32 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
My HOD (secondary) knows someone who has got a job in HK after one year of teaching and package is worth £45k.

Cooler
Nah.....Aussieland for me....

(PS Hi Cooler)