Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Primary School Teacher off new SOL List

Primary School Teacher off new SOL List

Old May 16th 2010, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

crouts81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Primary School Teacher off new SOL List

New SOL list just announced by Australian Government and no Primary School Teacher on it! I applied as one in April 2009 and hope to still get my visa - but don't know when!
Old May 17th 2010, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary School Teacher off new SOL List

Yes, bit of a shock Primary teacher being kicked off.

However think job situation over here has changed, also has been bit of a recruitment drive for getting people to train in Early years and Primary. I know another Australian forum that has dozens of mums who have signed up for the distance learning degrees. They are likely to fill up any jobs in the future.

Gems
Old May 17th 2010, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

joandeliot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crouts81
New SOL list just announced by Australian Government and no Primary School Teacher on it! I applied as one in April 2009 and hope to still get my visa - but don't know when!
I'm totally shocked too and a bit worried. I applied in Sept 09 and although they said it wouldn't affect pending applications I'm not entirely convinced!!
Old May 17th 2010, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Candlestick is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in similar position too, applied Dec 09, and crossing my fingers that this won't affect us . I'm pretty sure there must be places where they'll need primary teachers, even if it's just supply work to begin with. But I guess the new SOL gives us an indication of the shortages overall.

My Teaching Australia assessment acknowledged me as a 'Pre-primary School teacher' because I studied an Early years/ primary PGCE and, although I know this is still on the list, I understand you really need the 3 years Early childhood qualification to get jobs in this sector. Anyone know if that's really the case?

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has secured work in special needs teaching without an MA or equivalent in SEN. There seems to be a big demand for this in the new SOL and I'm wondering if I will find more work in this area. I taught in a special school for 2 years, they trained me well in ASD, SLD, PMLD but no formal 'big' qualification if you know what I mean. I am about to start the Level 5 course in teaching dyslexics too but don't see many adverts for this kind of teacher on Seek.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd be very grateful. At least then we might be able to use the 2 - 3 year wait to develop our 'useful' skills in preparation for the Aus job market!

Thanks!