Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Prim' Teach' & Sec' ICT Teach' want to move to QLD/Aus - Our situation, your advice?

Prim' Teach' & Sec' ICT Teach' want to move to QLD/Aus - Our situation, your advice?

Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:26 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all
Default Prim' Teach' & Sec' ICT Teach' want to move to QLD/Aus - Our situation, your advice?

I've just spent the past day or so ploughing through the threads soaking up as much information as I can. But now I thought I'd put our case forward and see what people think...

Me:
- I teach Secondary School ICT from KS3 (11yr old) to Sixth Form (18 yr old)
- I'm just finishing my 3rd year of teaching (all at one school).
- I have just been appointed a TLR2B (new type of management point) to over see whole school ICT and staff training.
- I have a Computing Degree & ICT PGCE

Kate:
- Primary School Teacher with 5 years experience (all at one school) in Nursery, Reception, Year 1 and Year 2.
- She is Maths Subject Leader (TLR2)
- She studied 3 year BA in Early Years Education with QTS

We're both 27.

Kate's parents are Expats with citizenship and Aussie passports, living in Townsville QLD. After several visits and trips across Australia, and as we approach a 5 week visit this summer (departing next week), we decided to finally look into making our next visit a permanent one.

Ideally we'd like to locate close to Kate's parents (and perhaps stay with them initially).

Although we're both doing well in our careers, it is Kate who is a teacher for life - I would consider other options.

1) From what I can make out, state schools can't pick and choose like UK schools do, and they have to employ from a pool of teachers from the authority, is this correct? I've read about teachers having to relocate within QLD. What happens to couples in these situations? With so many people saying it took them ages to get settled, and that they really had no choice on where they settled, what is the chance of both of us managing to settle around Townsville?

2) Kate is in a very good position within her school. Would she have to go back to the beginning? She did a 3 year degree, with Qualified Teacher Status included - this is rare, will it be a problem/acknowledged?

3) I'm an ICT teacher. Other than perhaps Multimedia and Animation (my degree was graphics based, and I have experience of teaching these) I would be uncomfortable teaching other subjects. Are there dedicated ICT teachers in Australia? How in demand are ICT teachers - I've seen little reference to ICT in other threads...

4) If I get a visa based on my profession as a teacher, do I then have to teach - or can I look to other careers?

5) One of the main reasons for our move would be to raise a family near Kate's parents in the near future - are we being unrealistic?

6) Finally, what kind of Visa should we look at? Kate's parents have suggested that they'd "sponsor" us - do we need this? What would it mean? (We're not married either, does that matter?)

Sorry about all the questions - any input or advice will be greatfully recieved.

Cheers,

Simon & Kate.

Last edited by Simon.and.Kate; Jul 14th 2007 at 7:37 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 10:52 pm
Danny

drdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Prim' Teach' & Sec' ICT Teach' want to move to QLD/Aus - Our situation, your advi

Hey Simon,

Teaching (both primary and secondary) is on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) so if you found a job with an employer that will sponsor you, you can gain permanent residency via the Employer Nomination Scheme (121/856). Have you seen any jobs in Townsville that are appropriate. If you applied for the primary visa with Kate as the main applicant, you would get a visa which would allow you to work in any job.

Since both your occupations are on the SOL and given your ages and available sponsor, I'm sure you've read about the Skilled Australian Sponsor visa too. This is subject to points testing and will take longer to come through than if you have a job before going and go for an ENS visa.

Enjoy your holiday - sounds a great opportunity to suss out what jobs are available and even get interviewed - keep your cv at hand & make the most of it!

Danny

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate
I've just spent the past day or so ploughing through the threads soaking up as much information as I can. But now I thought I'd put our case forward and see what people think...

Me:
- I teach Secondary School ICT from KS3 (11yr old) to Sixth Form (18 yr old)
- I'm just finishing my 3rd year of teaching (all at one school).
- I have just been appointed a TLR2B (new type of management point) to over see whole school ICT and staff training.
- I have a Computing Degree & ICT PGCE

Kate:
- Primary School Teacher with 5 years experience (all at one school) in Nursery, Reception, Year 1 and Year 2.
- She is Maths Subject Leader (TLR2)
- She studied 3 year BA in Early Years Education with QTS

We're both 27.

Kate's parents are Expats with citizenship and Aussie passports, living in Townsville QLD. After several visits and trips across Australia, and as we approach a 5 week visit this summer (departing next week), we decided to finally look into making our next visit a permanent one.

Ideally we'd like to locate close to Kate's parents (and perhaps stay with them initially).

Although we're both doing well in our careers, it is Kate who is a teacher for life - I would consider other options.

1) From what I can make out, state schools can't pick and choose like UK schools do, and they have to employ from a pool of teachers from the authority, is this correct? I've read about teachers having to relocate within QLD. What happens to couples in these situations? With so many people saying it took them ages to get settled, and that they really had no choice on where they settled, what is the chance of both of us managing to settle around Townsville?

2) Kate is in a very good position within her school. Would she have to go back to the beginning? She did a 3 year degree, with Qualified Teacher Status included - this is rare, will it be a problem/acknowledged?

3) I'm an ICT teacher. Other than perhaps Multimedia and Animation (my degree was graphics based, and I have experience of teaching these) I would be uncomfortable teaching other subjects. Are there dedicated ICT teachers in Australia? How in demand are ICT teachers - I've seen little reference to ICT in other threads...

4) If I get a visa based on my profession as a teacher, do I then have to teach - or can I look to other careers?

5) One of the main reasons for our move would be to raise a family near Kate's parents in the near future - are we being unrealistic?

6) Finally, what kind of Visa should we look at? Kate's parents have suggested that they'd "sponsor" us - do we need this? What would it mean? (We're not married either, does that matter?)

Sorry about all the questions - any input or advice will be greatfully recieved.

Cheers,

Simon & Kate.