PGCE vs GTP

Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Frank_66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PGCE vs GTP

Hi,

I want to go into teaching need to decide whether to do a PGCE or go through the GTP (Graduate Teacher Programme). I was told by someone that the GTP is not a recognised qualification in some countries though... does anyone know if doing that instead of a PGCE would limit my chances of getting into Australia and getting a teaching job there?

Thanks in advance...

Frank.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:24 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PGCE vs GTP

Originally Posted by Frank_66
Hi,

I want to go into teaching need to decide whether to do a PGCE or go through the GTP (Graduate Teacher Programme). I was told by someone that the GTP is not a recognised qualification in some countries though... does anyone know if doing that instead of a PGCE would limit my chances of getting into Australia and getting a teaching job there?

Thanks in advance...

Frank.
Yes, it would.

The GTP is categorically not accepted as a valid route into teaching for either gaining a valid skills assessment or gaining stste authority/registration to teach. No states in Australia will accept it and allow you to work here using it.

I don't think I can say it any clearer than that. Stay well away.

S
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:33 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Completely agree with Swerv-o.

The GTP is not accepted in Australia, so do a PGCE.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Frank_66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, will definately go for a PGCE then.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Mutley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

I am also doing a PGCE (secondary maths) and am glad to hear that it seems to be more recognised in oz compared to GTP etc.

Are jobs equally easy to get in oz as here?

Do you have to go where they place the ozzie teacher graduates? (i.e. in the middle of nowhere?

I will have no on the job experience (apart from 6+ months in the placement schools) but have heard that maths is also a shortage subject subject there too.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mutley
Hi there

I am also doing a PGCE (secondary maths) and am glad to hear that it seems to be more recognised in oz compared to GTP etc.

Are jobs equally easy to get in oz as here?

Do you have to go where they place the ozzie teacher graduates? (i.e. in the middle of nowhere?

I will have no on the job experience (apart from 6+ months in the placement schools) but have heard that maths is also a shortage subject subject there too.
To original poster has to be PGCE

Jobs can be hard to come by for several reasons, you're not Australian trained, jobs available are in very remote places that no one really wants to live in! Lots of supply but very few permanent jobs in some areas. Does seem more complex in securing a full time permanent post (but probably no harder than getting one in North Yorkshire, as they're like hens teeth).

You need to have worked 12 month out of previous 18, paid employment over 30 hours a week! So get the experience then go for the visa!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Mutley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
To original poster has to be PGCE

Jobs can be hard to come by for several reasons, you're not Australian trained, jobs available are in very remote places that no one really wants to live in! Lots of supply but very few permanent jobs in some areas. Does seem more complex in securing a full time permanent post (but probably no harder than getting one in North Yorkshire, as they're like hens teeth).

You need to have worked 12 month out of previous 18, paid employment over 30 hours a week! So get the experience then go for the visa!
Thanks for the info. I already have the visa (from my wife) but not the experience - so i will probably build up experience by working supply, and hopefully that will lead to something permanent later on.