British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   PE teacher working in OZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/pe-teacher-working-oz-771942/)

bodie1992 Sep 18th 2012 9:46 am

PE teacher working in OZ

Hi all,
I’m looking for some sound advice on my prospects of being able to find work down under. My partner is Australian, she has dual nationality and she has been living in Blighty for the last 4years and is determined to go home, (she wants to start uni back in OZ in Feb). I have just finished my PGCE in secondary PE and have previous teaching experience as an unqualified PE teacher beforehand (3yrs or so).

Now I think I can go to OZ on a defacto visa, but how easy will it be to find a teaching position? What are the PE provisions for primary schools and is this a possible route? I haven’t done my NQT year and I’m worried if I up sticks and move to Aus I won’t be able to find work :blink:?

All advice is greatly appreciated,:thumbsup:

Cheers,
Bodie1992

Briar Sep 21st 2012 7:14 am

Re: PE teacher working in OZ

I guess it depends which state you are moving to. In WA there seem to be plenty of Phys Ed teachers and few positions advertised. Not sure what the supply/relief situation is though.

Australia_bound? Oct 11th 2012 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by bodie1992 (Post 10286627)
Hi all,
I’m looking for some sound advice on my prospects of being able to find work down under. My partner is Australian, she has dual nationality and she has been living in Blighty for the last 4years and is determined to go home, (she wants to start uni back in OZ in Feb). I have just finished my PGCE in secondary PE and have previous teaching experience as an unqualified PE teacher beforehand (3yrs or so).

Now I think I can go to OZ on a defacto visa, but how easy will it be to find a teaching position? What are the PE provisions for primary schools and is this a possible route? I haven’t done my NQT year and I’m worried if I up sticks and move to Aus I won’t be able to find work :blink:?

All advice is greatly appreciated,:thumbsup:

Cheers,
Bodie1992

Where in Aus are you moving to?
If I were you I'd be looking at getting your NQT year out of the way prior to moving out so you can pick up some relief work, can be very hard to secure work in sought after areas.

allan123 Feb 23rd 2013 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Briar (Post 10292110)
I guess it depends which state you are moving to. In WA there seem to be plenty of Phys Ed teachers and few positions advertised. Not sure what the supply/relief situation is though.

hello,yes you are right.

abi31 Feb 24th 2013 9:43 pm

Do a search on here - I'm sure I've read threads that have said NQT counts for nothing in Oz - but PGCE is what counts. I suspect it's a role that's hard to get into - as it is in the UK. I know a PE teacher who returned to the UK from Oz and took a job as a special needs maths teacher as he couldn't get a PE role!

nomib Mar 4th 2013 10:58 am

Help for Teacher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear All,

I have a working visa for Aus and am arriving in Perth on the 1st April. i was hoping to teach ( iahve taught history for 6 years in the UK) and will be spending some time in Melbourne and Sydneya s well whilst i decide where to settle. What do i need to do in order to be able to teahc in Aus and can you recommend any supplya gencies for me to contact?

Thanks

N